Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. 
      I'll be posting a couple more tech sheets before Saturday so be sure to follow this event to keep up with the tech sheets we'll be going through. 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

THermador POD301J Oven On Indicator DIM

JP_Austin

I recently fixed my wonky Thermador POD301 wall over with the analog clock control board. The OVEN ON indicator has been not working lately and the wife is reporting that the unit shuts down from time to time during a cooking session. If she flips it off and back on it will often complete the cook. Not a good way to have a big meal on time!

I'm an old time appliance tech from years past but lately I have been an electrical engineer (30 years). Once the front panel was removed it was apparent the surface mount caps on the control board were not good. See below. 

IMG_9858.JPG

IMG_9859.JPG

IMG_9860.JPG

The caps were faulty. These were only rated at 6.3V and 330uF but I replaced them with 330uF and 16V caps I had lying around. It worked very well and the oven is back to working well.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JP_Austin

• AccApp

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm gonna bust a cap in yo'....Wall oven?" Said no gangsta ever

Nice fix, gotta love how they bulge when they fail. I also like when MOV's release their magical smoke.

• 6 months later...

Well this one came back to haunt me! Same thing dim to no blue OVEN ON LED while operating. Seems to be running OK but no indicator. Wife tells me it did shutdown a cook about three weeks ago. Every time I use it seems to be fine. Then again I typically only use it for 30 minutes or less. She bakes and can have it tied up for hours.

I tested the LED with a small power source (3V, 15mA limit) and the LED lights up OK. It must be on purpose that the controller is not lighting the LED (some other problem in system) or the driver for the LED is out. I traced it as far as I could but it seems to be limited to the main controller on the board. I am having a hard time believing that the pin drive electronics are weak. The supplies test fine with good voltage and other LED and indicators are clear and bright. I'd kill for a schematic on this thing. Are these available?

A new control board is nearly $300 so not something I want to replace willy-nilly! Do the Thermador's not light the indicator to tell you there is something wrong? BTW  - No error codes have been on the display.

I need to sleep on this one. Assembled it and turned it on and it's working like new. LED is as bright as the day it was installed! Not sure what happened but the LED must be intermittent. I have a 603 SMT blue LED if this one decides to go back out. Only thing I can tell is by energizing  the LED with the external supply it may have made an intermittent LED work again. Just unusual for a potted LED in a plastic case. Yes it can happen but odd.