Clicky

Jump to content
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

martygraw

Whirlpool Duet front load washer leak Model WGD9150WW0

Recommended Posts

martygraw

I have a leak on my Whirlpool Duet washer and have not been able to pinpoint the source. The leak does not always occur. When the leak began about a year ago, I assumed that it was the door gasket and replaced it but the leak came back soon after. When I changed it, I did not spot any tears in the gasket. The door and gasket are kept clean to prevent leaking there. I cleaned the detergent dispenser, removed the front of the washer and the bellows hose from the dispenser to the tub and cleaned the hose and thoroughly inspected it for tears or failure. Then did a load of clothes without a leak. The next load, the leak was back. I also have eliminated the bellows drain hose and pump, no leaks there and I opened the pump reservoir and thoroughly cleaned it.   

I am a point to where I do not know where else the leak could be. I could buy and replace all hoses and gaskets and hope for the best but my preference is to find a way to detect and diagnose the source of the leak and then repair it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

darren412

 Marty ,    first off    you have to recognize  whether or not you have the proper model # of the appliance in question before you submit your question,  Important .   The model # you  have submitted goes to a  Whirlpool gas dryer.       Resend the correct Model # .   As to this washer in question.     Where is the water coming down from ?   is it coming down the front panel then onto the floor , is it coming out front on the floor from underneath the washer ,  Is the water going onto the floor and coming out on the left or right side of the washer .     Water like electricity,  will a lot of times travel a path of least resistance especially when it is a very slow leak.   Your leak could be coming from any side of the washer and can come out the opposite side of where it is originating from.   You will need to remove the top ,  remove the back ,  remove the bottom lower front panel if this model has one.    Get a drop light then run a load of clothes in the water like you had when your leak re appeared.  this may take some time but you need to observe all openings with the light at different times all through the cycle until you can see and recreate the leak again.  you should be able to locate the origin of the leak from observing the washer during operation.   have patience and keep looking for the leak back and forth from all  the openings.   You should be able to find the leak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martygraw
14 minutes ago, darren412 said:

 Marty ,    first off    you have to recognize  whether or not you have the proper model # of the appliance in question before you submit your question,  Important .   The model # you  have submitted goes to a  Whirlpool gas dryer.       Resend the correct Model # .   As to this washer in question.     Where is the water coming down from ?   is it coming down the front panel then onto the floor , is it coming out front on the floor from underneath the washer ,  Is the water going onto the floor and coming out on the left or right side of the washer .     Water like electricity,  will a lot of times travel a path of least resistance especially when it is a very slow leak.   Your leak could be coming from any side of the washer and can come out the opposite side of where it is originating from.   You will need to remove the top ,  remove the back ,  remove the bottom lower front panel if this model has one.    Get a drop light then run a load of clothes in the water like you had when your leak re appeared.  this may take some time but you need to observe all openings with the light at different times all through the cycle until you can see and recreate the leak again.  you should be able to locate the origin of the leak from observing the washer during operation.   have patience and keep looking for the leak back and forth from all  the openings.   You should be able to find the leak

The correct model number is WFW9150WW00. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I will take your advise and run with the cabinet panels removed which should allow me to see the source of the leak. With the lower front panel removed, I have seen water dripping from the rear of the counter weight but could not determine the source. The washer vibrates and jumps around so much when operating, the water could be moved far from its origin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
darren412

if you find that the leak is coming down from the front counter weights somewhere  I suggest you recheck to see if the door boot was installed properly every where that it can possibly leak from. its possible it is not securely in place on  the tub rim or inlet ports. just something you may want to look at .    Its strange that it did not leak after you replaced the door boot gasket until the second load of laundry.   Good luck Brian and don't give up. Persistence will win every time in the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16345Ed
2 hours ago, martygraw said:

The washer vibrates and jumps around so much when operating, the water could be moved far from its origin.

I’d be concerned about this....

If spider arm or bearings shot, leak will be least of your concerns. 

Edited by 16345Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
darren412

The surface the washer is on plays a big part in vibration and movement of a washer also.  Properly leveling the washer plays a part too. I’ve seen frontloaders with their legs adjusted out to far and the washer will wobble and move. If the washer is on a piece of plywood that flexes it is hard to notice and see. the washer will walk off that also .  So make sure the washer is on a solid surface to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Budget Appliance Repair

Do you have a clean cycle on your washer and do you use it?

If you do have a clean cycle and don't use it a lot try it with the lower front panel off, the washer will fill up higher than a normal fill then rotate fast in a clockwise direction, this forces the water in the tub up to the hose that comes off the dispenser box and fills into the front of the washer tub.

All the bouncing around these do it wears out the rubber hose so it doesn't seal tight into the front of the tub and can leak very badly if you do the clean cycle and other times not so badly with just normal washes.

You can replace the hose or use a good sealer like the 3M800 or 3M847 to seal the hose to the front of the tub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martygraw

Thanks everyone for contributing information which helped me find the leak. I removed the top and bottom front panels. I ran the clean cycle and the leak started. After the cycle completed, I removed the front door panel and found that the water was leaking from the dispenser to tub hose where it mates up to the tub housing. When the water ran down the outside of the tub, some dripped straight down and some of the water followed around the bellows seal and dripped at the center making it hard to pinpoint the leak without removing the front of the machine.  A new hose will arrive tomorrow and that should take care of the problem.

Thanks again, 

Martygraw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martygraw
On 1/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, martygraw said:

Thanks everyone for contributing information which helped me find the leak. I removed the top and bottom front panels. I ran the clean cycle and the leak started. After the cycle completed, I removed the front door panel and found that the water was leaking from the dispenser to tub hose where it mates up to the tub housing. When the water ran down the outside of the tub, some dripped straight down and some of the water followed around the bellows seal and dripped at the center making it hard to pinpoint the leak without removing the front of the machine.  A new hose will arrive tomorrow and that should take care of the problem.

Thanks again, 

Martygraw

I received the new replacement hose that connects the dispenser to the tub. I removed the old hose and compared it to the new one. The fatigue in the old hose where it connects to the tub was obvious when the two were compared side by side. When I installed the new hose, I could tell that the seal would be water tight. After the installation, we washed 4 loads of clothes and had no leaks, problem solved.

Thanks Willie and Darren.

 

Martygraw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AccApp

Laissez les bons temps rouler! Great job and well in advance of Shrove Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
darren412

Im glad I was able to be of assistance in helping you locate where the leak was. Good luck and Happy new year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LaRayParateur

Although not present on your model, a similar hose connection can leak on other whirlpool front load models, it's a different dispenser to tub hose, which goes in the tub from the top.

It's not sealed in there from factory as the hole is also used in case a baffle has to be removed/replaced. Sometimes the hose rubber get's loose where it fits into the tub, and water gets flown around it during spin cycle.

A really hard to pinpoint one as it only leaks during spin, not the other parts of the cycle. If you encounter one on a unit more than a few years old and with the hose moving a little inside the hole, you might wish to use sealant all around it mostly as insurance against future leaks.

I wouldn't seal the one at the front of the tub though, as the hole can sometimes be used to remove a sock that got stuck around the basket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quick
On 1/11/2018 at 8:06 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

If you do have a clean cycle and don't use it a lot try it with the lower front panel off, the washer will fill up higher than a normal fill then rotate fast in a clockwise direction, this forces the water in the tub up to the hose that comes off the dispenser box and fills into the front of the washer tub.

Ah Hah!  A little hidden nugget. Snatch that pebble up quick!

Thank you budget repair for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.