Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Duet front load washer leak Model WGD9150WW0

martygraw

I have a leak on my Whirlpool Duet washer and have not been able to pinpoint the source. The leak does not always occur. When the leak began about a year ago, I assumed that it was the door gasket and replaced it but the leak came back soon after. When I changed it, I did not spot any tears in the gasket. The door and gasket are kept clean to prevent leaking there. I cleaned the detergent dispenser, removed the front of the washer and the bellows hose from the dispenser to the tub and cleaned the hose and thoroughly inspected it for tears or failure. Then did a load of clothes without a leak. The next load, the leak was back. I also have eliminated the bellows drain hose and pump, no leaks there and I opened the pump reservoir and thoroughly cleaned it.   

I am a point to where I do not know where else the leak could be. I could buy and replace all hoses and gaskets and hope for the best but my preference is to find a way to detect and diagnose the source of the leak and then repair it.

Marty ,    first off    you have to recognize  whether or not you have the proper model # of the appliance in question before you submit your question,  Important .   The model # you  have submitted goes to a  Whirlpool gas dryer.       Resend the correct Model # .   As to this washer in question.     Where is the water coming down from ?   is it coming down the front panel then onto the floor , is it coming out front on the floor from underneath the washer ,  Is the water going onto the floor and coming out on the left or right side of the washer .     Water like electricity,  will a lot of times travel a path of least resistance especially when it is a very slow leak.   Your leak could be coming from any side of the washer and can come out the opposite side of where it is originating from.   You will need to remove the top ,  remove the back ,  remove the bottom lower front panel if this model has one.    Get a drop light then run a load of clothes in the water like you had when your leak re appeared.  this may take some time but you need to observe all openings with the light at different times all through the cycle until you can see and recreate the leak again.  you should be able to locate the origin of the leak from observing the washer during operation.   have patience and keep looking for the leak back and forth from all  the openings.   You should be able to find the leak

14 minutes ago, darren412 said:

Marty ,    first off    you have to recognize  whether or not you have the proper model # of the appliance in question before you submit your question,  Important .   The model # you  have submitted goes to a  Whirlpool gas dryer.       Resend the correct Model # .   As to this washer in question.     Where is the water coming down from ?   is it coming down the front panel then onto the floor , is it coming out front on the floor from underneath the washer ,  Is the water going onto the floor and coming out on the left or right side of the washer .     Water like electricity,  will a lot of times travel a path of least resistance especially when it is a very slow leak.   Your leak could be coming from any side of the washer and can come out the opposite side of where it is originating from.   You will need to remove the top ,  remove the back ,  remove the bottom lower front panel if this model has one.    Get a drop light then run a load of clothes in the water like you had when your leak re appeared.  this may take some time but you need to observe all openings with the light at different times all through the cycle until you can see and recreate the leak again.  you should be able to locate the origin of the leak from observing the washer during operation.   have patience and keep looking for the leak back and forth from all  the openings.   You should be able to find the leak

The correct model number is WFW9150WW00. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I will take your advise and run with the cabinet panels removed which should allow me to see the source of the leak. With the lower front panel removed, I have seen water dripping from the rear of the counter weight but could not determine the source. The washer vibrates and jumps around so much when operating, the water could be moved far from its origin.

if you find that the leak is coming down from the front counter weights somewhere  I suggest you recheck to see if the door boot was installed properly every where that it can possibly leak from. its possible it is not securely in place on  the tub rim or inlet ports. just something you may want to look at .    Its strange that it did not leak after you replaced the door boot gasket until the second load of laundry.   Good luck Brian and don't give up. Persistence will win every time in the end. 

2 hours ago, martygraw said:

The washer vibrates and jumps around so much when operating, the water could be moved far from its origin.

I’d be concerned about this....

If spider arm or bearings shot, leak will be least of your concerns. 

Edited by 16345Ed

The surface the washer is on plays a big part in vibration and movement of a washer also.  Properly leveling the washer plays a part too. I’ve seen frontloaders with their legs adjusted out to far and the washer will wobble and move. If the washer is on a piece of plywood that flexes it is hard to notice and see. the washer will walk off that also .  So make sure the washer is on a solid surface to.

Do you have a clean cycle on your washer and do you use it?

If you do have a clean cycle and don't use it a lot try it with the lower front panel off, the washer will fill up higher than a normal fill then rotate fast in a clockwise direction, this forces the water in the tub up to the hose that comes off the dispenser box and fills into the front of the washer tub.

All the bouncing around these do it wears out the rubber hose so it doesn't seal tight into the front of the tub and can leak very badly if you do the clean cycle and other times not so badly with just normal washes.

You can replace the hose or use a good sealer like the 3M800 or 3M847 to seal the hose to the front of the tub.

Thanks everyone for contributing information which helped me find the leak. I removed the top and bottom front panels. I ran the clean cycle and the leak started. After the cycle completed, I removed the front door panel and found that the water was leaking from the dispenser to tub hose where it mates up to the tub housing. When the water ran down the outside of the tub, some dripped straight down and some of the water followed around the bellows seal and dripped at the center making it hard to pinpoint the leak without removing the front of the machine.  A new hose will arrive tomorrow and that should take care of the problem.

Thanks again, 

Martygraw

On 1/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, martygraw said:

Thanks everyone for contributing information which helped me find the leak. I removed the top and bottom front panels. I ran the clean cycle and the leak started. After the cycle completed, I removed the front door panel and found that the water was leaking from the dispenser to tub hose where it mates up to the tub housing. When the water ran down the outside of the tub, some dripped straight down and some of the water followed around the bellows seal and dripped at the center making it hard to pinpoint the leak without removing the front of the machine.  A new hose will arrive tomorrow and that should take care of the problem.

Thanks again, 

Martygraw

I received the new replacement hose that connects the dispenser to the tub. I removed the old hose and compared it to the new one. The fatigue in the old hose where it connects to the tub was obvious when the two were compared side by side. When I installed the new hose, I could tell that the seal would be water tight. After the installation, we washed 4 loads of clothes and had no leaks, problem solved.

Thanks Willie and Darren.

Martygraw

Im glad I was able to be of assistance in helping you locate where the leak was. Good luck and Happy new year

• 4 weeks later...
LaRayParateur

Although not present on your model, a similar hose connection can leak on other whirlpool front load models, it's a different dispenser to tub hose, which goes in the tub from the top.

It's not sealed in there from factory as the hole is also used in case a baffle has to be removed/replaced. Sometimes the hose rubber get's loose where it fits into the tub, and water gets flown around it during spin cycle.

A really hard to pinpoint one as it only leaks during spin, not the other parts of the cycle. If you encounter one on a unit more than a few years old and with the hose moving a little inside the hole, you might wish to use sealant all around it mostly as insurance against future leaks.

I wouldn't seal the one at the front of the tub though, as the hole can sometimes be used to remove a sock that got stuck around the basket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 8:06 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

If you do have a clean cycle and don't use it a lot try it with the lower front panel off, the washer will fill up higher than a normal fill then rotate fast in a clockwise direction, this forces the water in the tub up to the hose that comes off the dispenser box and fills into the front of the washer tub.

Ah Hah!  A little hidden nugget. Snatch that pebble up quick!

Thank you budget repair for that.

• 5 years later...
On 1/11/2018 at 8:06 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Do you have a clean cycle on your washer and do you use it?

All the bouncing around these do it wears out the rubber hose so it doesn't seal tight into the front of the tub and can leak very badly if you do the clean cycle and other times not so badly with just normal washes.

You can replace the hose or use a good sealer like the 3M800 or 3M847 to seal the hose to the front of the tub

I owe you a beer! Thx

17 hours ago, bkane said:

I owe you a beer! Thx

Did you find a leak at the front fill hose using this method?

It's a common problem - that hose is always shaking around with the tub and and wear it so it's not a water tight seal.  I just use the 3M800 or the high temp glue that comes with dryer drum seals to seal the rubber hose to the tub front - I've never had a problem fixing it this way.

1 hour ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Did you find a leak at the front fill hose using this method?

It's a common problem - that hose is always shaking around with the tub and and wear it so it's not a water tight seal.  I just use the 3M800 or the high temp glue that comes with dryer drum seals to seal the rubber hose to the tub front - I've never had a problem fixing it this way.

Yes,   the leak was at the ft fill hose used high temp glue to seal it.   I ran into the I have no idea and what's going on and hope I find something on appliantology.   Your post was the only one I found on it.  Then found the leak in 5 minutes.

• Like 1