Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Mah8700aww Maytag Neptune washer, door won't lock, LO code

nolazach

Now, I know what you are thinking.  Clicking lock, must be a bad switch.

Easy five minute fix.   I thought that too.   My smugness was quirky wiped away as the new switch did the same thing.    So, I look at the striker again.  It looks fine, but being a dollar part, I swap it.   Nada.  No change.

So, next step is bad control, right?

The thing is, is it possible it's something else?  A DOA switch maybe, maybe something out the box? 

In going to exchange switch anyway.  I've probably changed 20 of these and never had an issue.  

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nolazach

• darren412

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you put it into a diagnostic mode to see if the lock is working.  If it’s locking and unlocking correctly then your problem lies some where else . I would check to see if the main water valves are working also. It’s possible the new lock was bad. I would  also check all the wiring for continuity to and from the door lock mechanism to rule out a bad wire. The door lock Wires I believe in your model run to the noise filter ,the heater, drain pump and the main water valve  if it’s locking and staying closed  you may just have a bad wire in the locking system. If the lock tests good and the wires are good  I would suspect a bad water valve or control board 

Would a water valve cause this issue in "drain and spin" setting?

I do need to check wires.  It just has a dryer on top, and not looking forward to taking that off then tear down machine.

I swapped out the lock mechanism. 

Will put out into diagnostic tomorrow and check it out. I couldn't remember the diagnostic sequence for that unit. 

Can't enter diagnostics. 

It keeps doing the LO.

CONFIRMED not a doa part. 

The main inlet valve is really rusted and funky.  

I can't even do the door lock procedures because this thing says it can't unlock.  

So I'm going to refund my service fee and leave. Can't get help online. (It's why I can't justify the now $160 it costs here) not worth any more of my time.

Chalk out up as a bad control, quote a crazy price, refund service fee, eat the part I bought and be gone. 

I'll be damned.  Unplug inlet valve and diagnostics works.  Hmm. 

But I can't edit my crying rant.

Lol

Guy who responded. Pm me and I'll venmo you beer money.  Thanks. 

Hey Nolazach,  I’m glad you made some progress.  Search for the service manual and that will tell you the procedure for the diagnostic sequence. It pays to have it available before you get to the job if you can.The main water valve I had mentioned will get energized and let water in for the cycle after the door locks . That is why I mentioned to check the main water valve. The lock may be perfectly fine and the valve is possibly bad 

Edited by darren412

Hopefully now it maybe possible for you to do a diagnostic test and check the lock and check the water valves . Use your meter on the main water valve harness that you disconnected. Verifying voltage at the harness connection during diagnostics    And that will get you through the manual testing of the components . That will tell you if the valve is no good .  I know it’s a bitch checking harness connections and wiring but a lot of times it’s just a bad wire or connection some where that is the problem. It takes time but Once you have done it several times it is really quite simple . Good luck and I’m sorry your having such a tough time with this washer.