Clicky

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Slugbait

GE dishwasher does not heat - Model GDT580SSF2SS

Slugbait

I have a GE dishwasher that will not heat during either wash or dry cycles. The element tested fine with an ohm meter. My machine does NOT have a thermostat. I finally called GEHelp, and they told me it's because of the Water Valve Assembly...which is hard to believe: how does something that controls water intake (which works) also activates the heating element for both wash and dry cycles? I've done at least 50 hours of reading and investigating, and I've never seen any reference anywhere on the Internet that the water valve assembly can also activate the heating element. Is this possibly true?

The only sensor in my dishwasher is the turbidity sensor, which I believe can trigger the heating element during the wash cycle, but it's also ruled out since it wouldn't have any impact on the element during the dry cycle, correct?

I'm at my wits end. I can find nothing on the Internet about the potential cause, and no one on the phone has any answers...except GE, who gave me an answer that is otherwise documented nowhere, and I'm having a really hard time believing them.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

AccApp

Do you have the schematic diagram for it? That will tell you what components are in the dishwasher.

AccApp

I can’t see how the inlet valve pictured could possibly activate the heating element. 

Most modern dishwashers don’t heat during the dry cycle. They depend upon heat stored during the wash and rinses as well as rinse aid to dry the dishes.

Scottthewolf

There is a thermal cut out for the heater, it's part of the AC wiring harness below the tub.   Now it subs over to a complete wash pump assembly and the wiring harness in one kit.

Scottthewolf
28 minutes ago, AccApp said:

I can’t see how the inlet valve pictured could possibly activate the heating element. 

Most modern dishwashers don’t heat during the dry cycle. They depend upon heat stored during the wash and rinses as well as rinse aid to dry the dishes.

Wrong, just Bosch and some other European dishwashers use  no heater.  All the American built dishwashers still have a heater for the drying cycle.

Slugbait
1 hour ago, Scottthewolf said:

There is a thermal cut out for the heater, it's part of the AC wiring harness below the tub.   Now it subs over to a complete wash pump assembly and the wiring harness in one kit.

Did you mean a thermal cut off? And are you saying that the wiring harness cannot be replaced without replacing the entire wash pump assembly?

Slugbait
2 hours ago, AccApp said:

Do you have the schematic diagram for it? That will tell you what components are in the dishwasher.

There are exploded view schematic diagrams at several different parts replacement websites like this one. Nowhere on the Internet is "thermal", "thermostat" or "thermistor" associated with my specific dishwasher.

AccApp

I found this:

file:///C:/Users/Peter/Downloads/c0c140df-0c49-4c4b-904f-9ff9d039ccd3.pdf

Might be similar enough to your model. The wash water thermistor is located in the flood switch assembly(#308 in sump and filter diagram) and there is a thermal cut off (TCO) on the tub (#751 in body parts diagram)

Slugbait
4 minutes ago, AccApp said:

I found this:

file:///C:/Users/Peter/Downloads/c0c140df-0c49-4c4b-904f-9ff9d039ccd3.pdf

Might be similar enough to your model. The wash water thermistor is located in the flood switch assembly(#308 in sump and filter diagram) and there is a thermal cut off (TCO) on the tub (#751 in body parts diagram)

So, I assume your name is Peter. ;-)

AccApp
1 minute ago, Slugbait said:

Yup, I guess you're not going to be able to find that file.

AccApp

try this:

pdfstream.manualsonline.com/c/c0c140df-0c49-4c4b-904f-9ff9d039ccd3.pdf

AccApp

found as a google search for "GDT580SSF2SS schematic"

AccApp
4 minutes ago, Slugbait said:

And I went to school for computers, guess that explains why I work on appliances now.

Slugbait
14 minutes ago, AccApp said:

try this:

pdfstream.manualsonline.com/c/c0c140df-0c49-4c4b-904f-9ff9d039ccd3.pdf

Funny, I had actually pulled my Flood Switch and cleaned it out this past weekend...it was filthy. Cleaning it didn't get the heat back, tho'. But the part was never described as having a thermistor on any parts website I found...just "Flood Switch". None of the Q&A troubleshooting sites I found mentioned heat issues in relation to this part, only water issues. But the one in this schematic looks exactly like mine...and now that I know it has a thermistor, I think mine went defective. I'm cautiously optimistic that you nailed it. I'll pull it again tomorrow, see if I can test it...if not, I'll just get a new one, because this is the very first believable lead I've gotten. Thanks, Peter.

AccApp

Test it as per page 49 in the manual.