Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Elite not heating water but heats during drying cycle

xyourobob

My Kenmore Elite 66513153K701 will not heat the water during the wash cycle but does heat up during the drying cycle. I have replaced the heating element and confirmed the thermostat has continuity. Can someone tel me what my next step is? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 16345Ed

• xyourobob

• Kendell

• Tachi

53 minutes ago, xyourobob said:

My Kenmore Elite 66513153K701 will not heat the water during the wash cycle but does heat up during the drying cycle. I have replaced the heating element and confirmed the thermostat has continuity. Can someone tel me what my next step is? 

How did you verify this?

3 hours ago, xyourobob said:

My Kenmore Elite 66513153K701 will not heat the water during the wash cycle but does heat up during the drying cycle.

This part...

How do you know it’s not heating in wash cycle? I assume you are selecting hi temp option. 

Yes high tem is selected, because when I open the washer in the midst of it's wash cycle at various times I dont get blasted with hot air, in addition to not cleaning butter off the butter knife like it used to amongst other things.

16 minutes ago, xyourobob said:

Yes high tem is selected, because when I open the washer in the midst of it's wash cycle at various times I dont get blasted with hot air, in addition to not cleaning butter off the butter knife like it used to amongst other things.

Just trying to pinpoint issue. If you are having cleaning issues maybe check some of these...

what is temperature of hot water entering tub? 

Is sump clean, getting good circulation? 

Are all spray arms clean? Again circulation. 

(To know temps of water you really need to check water temperature at different parts in the cycle) 

Put coffee mug on top rack right side up, run wash cycle. The mug should be full of water. If not you have a circulation issue. 

54 minutes ago, xyourobob said:

OK that's a good idea, when you say run wash cycle do I run it through it's normal wash (takes over an hour)

Good question, I should have been more clear. Just need to let circulation motor run a couple minutes. Usually happens shortly after it fills. 

Edited by 16345Ed

Place one mug in each corner of the top rack.  Let it spray for a minute or so, then open.  The cups should have quite a bit of water.  You can temp check the water.

I put the cups in each corner of the top rack, I let it spray for a a little while and the cups were nearly full. I also put a thermometer in the bottom rack of the dishwasher and the temp was holding steady at 70 degrees. 

2 hours ago, xyourobob said:

I put the cups in each corner of the top rack, I let it spray for a a little while and the cups were nearly full. I also put a thermometer in the bottom rack of the dishwasher and the temp was holding steady at 70 degrees. 

Recommended hot water entering tub is 105-120. Are you sure it’s connected to hot water supply?

Yeah it's definitely hooked up to the hot I just ran the hot water in the sink for a little while and then started dishwasher and the temperature went up to 85 degrees

The water doesn't heat instantly, takes several minutes for heating to have an effect, and heating may not begin immediately at start of the cycle.

I recommend customers always Perrin hot water in the sink before starting the dw. The heating element will only raise the temp 10 to 20 degrees as stated above it takes several minutes for it to heat. Also the heating element does not kick on until at least mid cycle

9 hours ago, xyourobob said:

Yeah it's definitely hooked up to the hot I just ran the hot water in the sink for a little while and then started dishwasher and the temperature went up to 85 degrees

It is definitely not hot enough to get good cleaning results. 

http://producthelp.kitchenaid.com/Dishwashers/Dishwasher_Tips_and_Tricks/How_to_get_the_best_results_when_using_your_dishwasher

Edited by 16345Ed

1 hour ago, xyourobob said:

Hence this posting

It’s your supplied water, not dishwasher. 

Maybe you did not open attachment...

first paragraph:

For best dishwashing results, water should be 120°F as it enters the dishwasher. Hot water dissolves and activates the dishwashing detergent. Hot water also dissolves grease on dishes and helps glasses dry spot-free. 

21 hours ago, xyourobob said:

I also put a thermometer in the bottom rack of the dishwasher and the temp was holding steady at 70 degrees. 

2 hours ago, xyourobob said:

I ran the water in the sink with the thermometer and temp peaks at 116 degrees so my earlier reports were not accurate

I have a feeling your dishwasher is filling with lukewarm water. Try running hot water at sink, make sure it’s good and hot, then start dishwasher and see if results improve. 

5 hours ago, xyourobob said:

I ran the water in the sink with the thermometer and temp peaks at 116 degrees 

6 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

water should be 120°F as it enters the dishwasher. 

OK, I adjusted the thermostats on my hot water heater to 125 degrees and the sink / dishwasher are the closest faucet connections to the water heater. We notice the difference in water temp! However the silverware is still not coming clean? We take it out and run it under the sink faucet and they are instantly clean. Is there a chance the lower spinning device is not spitting out water? We are going to buy a different soap today as well.