Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

DCS RGS-366 Broiler not working

Jim_M

We have a 10 year old DCS RGS-366 range.  The broiler will not light.  I bought and installed a new igniter.  It still does not light. The 6 range burners work.  The oven works (different igniter). What is the next step?  Is it the dual thermal gas valve?  If yes, how do you test the valve?  Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Jim

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim_M

• darren412

• Budget Appliance Repair

• northeastappliance

Does the ignitor have 120v going to it? Does it glow but no gas comes out?

The igniter does not glow at all. I did not check the wires leading to the igniter from the oven. The oven has electrical power.  The oven lights work. Perhaps something is preventing power from getting to the broiler igniter. 

I would start by checking if you have 120v to the ignitor at the plug. 

I believe I have found the problem.  The unit has power, but the no electricity gets to the broiler igniter.  The oven igniter works and all 6 burners work.  The oven/broiler thermostat has continuity for both bake & broil.  the Dual Thermal Gas Valve in the back appears to be the problem.  One side (the oven) has continuity, but the other side (the broiler?) does not. I just ordered the part (#210782) from DCS.  They were the least expensive option at $100.86 for the part.  I hope this is the issue!

It sounds as though your on the right track if I’m not mistaken . You may be able to Jump the broiler terminals at the valve correct , to check that ?  Not positively sure but I think you can do that. Let me know what you came up with.

NOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't try to jump any terminals at the broil or any terminals on the gas valve.

If they read an open valve then the valve is bad.

You do need to make sure the ignitor and wiring is not shorted to ground in any way.

The valve bi-metal heater can go bad on it's own, (doesn't happen very often), or if you somehow send 120 VAC directly through the valve bypassing the ingitor in any way will immediately fry the valve bi-metal heater wire.

One more common way this can happen is if you have the range hooked up to a plug with the wrong polarity instead of the 120VAC live line going through the t-stat then to the ignitor then out to the valve then to neutral on the other side of valve the 120VAC live line would be on the neutral line going directly to the gas valve and if somehow, (mice chewed wiring), the wire coming out of the other terminal on the valve contacts ground before passing thru the ignitor, instant burn out of valve bi-metal heater wire.

There is no way to bypass a hot surface ignitor system valve - the best you could do if trying to test if the ignitor is pulling the correct amperage is to remove both of the wires going to the valve terminals and connect those two wires together totally bypassing the valve then the ignitor should turn on and heat up when you turn the oven control and you could take an amp reading of the ignitor.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Thanks budget for that correction . Sound and good advice. I appreciate that concern in setting me straight on the proper way of testing that gas valve

Thanks!  I had no intention of jumping the valve.  I have reassembled the oven (we still need to use the stovetop).   I am simply waiting for the part to arrive in the mail.  Thanks everyone for your input!

Jim M.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I have now replaced the dual thermal gas valve and the broiler igniter (twice - after breaking one).  I turned it on, the igniter lit (more progress than I had before), it sounded as if the gas valve opened, but after a few seconds the broiler did not ignite and "click" it sounded as if the valve closed again.  Now when I turn the broiler on, I am back to square one.  That is, the igniter won't even light.  I am stumped.  The thermostat works (I think.  Good electrical continuity), the dual thermal gas valve and igniter are brand new.  What else could it be?  Wiring?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Otherwise, this DIY project is over and I need to call in a pro.  (Middletown, NJ if anyone has a recommendation.)

Thanks!  Jim

what is the current draw??            could not find that DCS  ignitor P/N to get the correct draw.                               3.2 to 3.6 amp.  is the most common.....I/R broil unit on this model.....How many times did you try to get the broil to operate??     The ignitor only lit once???    .

Thanks for the response.  I'm an amateur at this.  "current draw" on what?  The thermostat?  Igniter?  How do you measure it?  I have an old Radio Shack analog multitester.  Yes, the igniter lit only once after replacing it and the gas valve.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim

Full disclosure:  I took the oven door off and broke the hinge.  Am waiting for the part.  So, there is no door on the oven.  I can't imagine that this makes a difference.

I just lit the oven.  It works fine.  I switched to Broil and nothing happens.  The igniter does not glow at all...

it May just be that you have a door switch for that unit and it shuts down the power to the ignition system  when it thinks the door is open ??? 

If you do have one it’s possible that the door switch is acting up intermittently ina crazy way and possibly driving you crazy when you were opening and closing the door when it was on. Just throwing this out there if you have one.  Something to check if you haven’t already. 

I don't know about this DCS brand but I worked on another brand, (can't remember what exactly it was - maybe American Stove Company), that had an I/R broiler and it did have a door switch so the broil burner wouldn't come on if the door was open and it was bent in so the door didn't activate it correctly.

Also check the continuity on the broil side of the new valve to make sure the new valve didn't blow out already from a possible short sending 120VAC directly to the valve instead of thru the ignitor first, (hopefully that wasn't what the pop you heard was).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

41 minutes ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Also check the continuity on the broil side of the new valve to make sure the new valve didn't blow out already from a possible short sending 120VAC directly to the valve instead of thru the ignitor first, (hopefully that wasn't what the pop you heard was).

My first thought was a short. It would explain the valve failing initially. 

Id carefully check all wiring in broiler circuit. 

I had a Jennair range once that was I/R and the infrared broil screen was deformed from heat and was creating a short. 

Thanks all.  Finally got the door hinge part.  (DCS lost my order!).  Will try to install the new hinge and will check the gas valve.  You're right! I hope the new part didn't blow!

News to follow...

Jim

• 2 years later...

How did you access the dual thermal gas valve? Did you, or rather could you, do so by removing the range top & then accessing from the back of the oven? It’s above the manifold, correct? Can’t figure how to access to replace

• 9 months later...

I am having the same problem that Jim_M indicated on this post.  I have a DCS RG364GD.  My igniter is good but I am not getting 120v to it.  I believe I need to check the gas safety valve but cannot locate it and my DCS manual is not help.  Jim_M or someone can you provide me some basics on where to look?

Much Appreciated - Mike W.