Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool MFI2269VEM7 Frost in the freezer and puddles at the feet

mosleyh

My Whirlpool MFI2269VEM7 has, for a while now randomly been forming small puddles of water at the left and occasionally both of the front feet. Recently I've noticed "snow" on the items in the left side of the freezer door which is also on the left side of the Freezer door. I suspect that the two are related. Need some help before my wife insists on replacing the unit! Thanks.

Sounds like either door was left open or defrost drain plugged up. 

Inspect closely and tell exactly where frost is forming and what the frost looks like. 

Also look for sheet of ice on floor of freezer. 

Sounds like door might have been left open. I’d defrost it all and make sure seals are good and door closes properly. 

Then watch it ensuring it’s closing properly all the time. 

If others are in the household they all need training. ?

Edited by 16345Ed

Those were my first thoughts too. I can find no faults in the seal, and I'm positive that it's not because the door isn't being shut properly. Here's a photo of the frost "snow" in the freezer.n1TrPvE.jpg

52 minutes ago, 16345Ed said:

Sounds like either door was left open or defrost drain plugged 

Also look for sheet of ice on floor of freezer. 

A plugged defrost drain is a good bet. If there's ice on the freezer floor under the drawer or along the bottom of the freezer evaporator cover, then you have a frozen drain. 

14 minutes ago, mosleyh said:

Is there a way to confirm that easily or is the best bet just to empty and defrost it?

Gotta disassemble and get your eyes on it. 

You need this if you don't already have it:  Whirlpool OEM Part #W10619951

Last I heard Whirlpool will send you one at no charge.

Be sure and blast some steam up through the drain to clear it or hot water down if you don't have a steamer.

The old one doesn’t look like that, it has a duck bill attached to the cabinet and a kind of open funnel/ramp thing that has to be removed. I stick a 1/8” flat blade screwdriver in to release the locking tab on the funnel/ramp thing. The directions are pretty vague about that part of the job.

Good tip I remember when I first did one of these and I crack the drip pan where it attached to the funnel. I panicked a little but raised the pan slightly and silicones and taped the broken tab bracket for the funnel and got through this one

16 minutes ago, RhodyGrad said:

or just remove the duckbill and water will drain into the pan...

And warm air will enter and cause more frost on evaporator 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RhodyGrad said:

or just remove the duckbill and water will drain into the pan...

Bad advice, don’t do this!

On 2/24/2018 at 8:41 AM, AccApp said:

The old one doesn’t look like that, it has a duck bill attached to the cabinet and a kind of open funnel/ramp thing that has to be removed. I stick a 1/8” flat blade screwdriver in to release the locking tab on the funnel/ramp thing. The directions are pretty vague about that part of the job.

I now cut the drain chute in half to be extra careful and it makes its little easier at times to disconnect the bottom half from the drip pan when it is so tight in the mechanical room of the fridge. Sometimes it will come right out tilting it forward and up but you still have to be careful not to crack that drip pan connection. I used to take a long Phillips screw driver and fish it through the condenser fan blades to the the drain chute tab and depress the tab in that way but that was one of the times I cracked the drip pan connection and then I stoped doing it that way.   I do still love these water frozen under the crisper and water going onto the floor calls.  I have made thousands of dollars going to these calls . As bad as it is for the consumer I love it when the manufacturing engineers get brain storms like these and then try to get around the old school ways of how things were done  in the past that still work fine today.

I cut the chute in half using side cutters I then use a very small blade pocket screw driver to go down between the tab and the chute. It breaks the small piece of plastic on the chute that is held by the tab. Once that is broke the chute comes right off.

I have used a pick also. It doesn’t take much to break that little piece of black plastic on the chute

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I cut the chute in half using side cutters I then use a very small blade pocket screw driver to go down between the tab and the chute. It breaks the small piece of plastic on the chute that is held by the tab. Once that is broke the chute comes right off.

That's how I do it, too. Just be careful because the drain pan is made of the most brittle plastic in the world that can/will crack if you apply too much pressure.

I put the small pick or screw driver in and give a twist. I avoid pushing down too much.

• Like 1