Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

DWSR483EG9WW Dryer chirping

bdweller

My GE dryer is chirping!!  Not sure how to handle.  What I've read so far mentions changing the drum roller.  Can't find a part that fits that description so far.

thanks for your help, BD Weller

That is because your model Dryer does not have drum rollers.  You have front and rear drum bearings. It’s  usually the upper top front bearing w/ glides that is attached to the inside of the front panel and the small rear plastic bearing that causes the symptom you seem to be describing.There is a kit# WE49x20697 for replacing the front upper bearing and will come with all the stuff you need to replace that front bearing and the kit also comes with a replacement drum belt ! Just replace everything back the way it is attached when you see it. It’s cheaper than buying everything separately. The rear plastic drum bearing is Part # WE1M462  . If either one is worn down . You will want to replace both front and rear bearings upon inspection. When one wears down it usually will have a negative wearing affect on the other one. but as suggested by V8 you need to do an inspection first. The idler pulley wheels on these are pretty resilient and rarely go. Try running the dryer on the air only (no heat) cycle with no clothes in the dryer for 10 or 15 min. If the noise goes away or has quieted down to almost nothing. I would say it will most likely be the bearings I mentioned that will be your problem.  FYI  !   There is a small o ring that holds that rear bearing in and that  is part # WE1M461. You can choose to get that but it usually is not in stock with the local people and you can get by without waiting for that.  I just break the old o ring off so you can slide the little plastic rear bearing off and just slide the new one back on .  Then when you  insert the drum back into the rear support just do it so it doesn’t come off the end and insert the drum back in . You will be fine. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, darren412 said:

rear plastic bearing that causes the symptom you seem to be describing.

most likely this .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I replaced the rear plastic bearing and the o-ring (there was no o-ring there when I removed the drum).  The chirping stopped.  However, after about 5-8 cycles of drying, a different chirping is back.  Does this mean that I need to replace the front upper bearing?  Or, are there any other areas to look at?

thanks, BDWeller

Inspect the upper front bearing and glides first.  That was why I had mentioned  you to check them also for Wear. If they look fine there’s a possibility you squeaking sound is coming from your motor or pulley not likely with these GE dryers.   or something may be caught in the felt strip located around the lower front bearing. like a zipper part or screw that is lodged in it and is scraping on the drum when it is spinning. The lower front bearing is almost   Never an issue.  It’s highly likely it’s coming from the front bearing now in my opinion.  Make sure your putting OEM parts in this also and not some cheap generic after market parts that entice you with the price. You will pay for that more sooner than later.  Good luck

When the front glides are bad it is usually a scrape sound, if the rear bushing didn’t fit tight in the housing it can still be your issue. I have had to glue it in on many occasions.

Yeah I always have changed both the plastic bearing in the back and the front glides and upper top front bearing.  For The squealing noises on GE dryers . Never had a problem or call back from that complaint.