Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung rf263teaesr Refrigerator not cooling properly.

brianl0646

I have a Samsung rf263teaesr french door fridge. A month or so ago is was cooling down to 30 degrees. Luckily I have a home warranty (highly recommend, I work in the real estate business) A service guy came out, replaced the control board and I believe the thermostat. Both tested bad. It then would not hold a consistent temperature. I put 2 thermometers in the unit and the temp would range from 34 to 49 degrees. He came out again and replaced the control board. Still had the same problem, and even if the temperature inside was 45 degrees, the display would always show the current temperature being where I had it set which was 37. If I dropped the temp to 35, the display would show the temp inside as being 37 (which was where I had it previously set) then in a few minutes the actual and the set temps would both match up at 35 even though the 2 thermometers inside say 45.  I then used a laser and it registered 45, I took out a jar of liquid, put a meat probe in it and it said 45.  So I am confident the temp is indeed 45 even though the fridge doesn't agree and says whatever I have it set at.

I also notice my fridge never seems to make noice like it's trying to cool.

My guy came back and replaces the cooling fan or something like that. This morning all is still the same. Temp somewhere in the 40s, display showing a temp that is where I have it set at.

To me who doesn't know anything sounds like a thermostat issue. I am starting to feel like the repair guy thinks I'm crazy, but the temp from 4 thermometers should match the set temp of the fridge after being closed all night.

Any thoughts?

There are several thermistors (temp sensors) in those units that are prone to failure. 

There is one that monitors refrigerator temperature. 

One monitors freezer temperature. 

Another monitors pantry temperature. 

Then the final two are most suspect to failure the refrigerator evaporator(defrost) sensor and the freezer evaporator(defrost) sensor. 

You dropped a clue...not making any noise. Do you mean fan noise or compressor noise? Grab a magnet, open one of the fridge doors, the light should come on. Take the magnet and run it along the top cover until you hit a spot where the light goes out. In a few seconds the fan should come on. If it doesn't, you'll have to investigate why not. (Of course the fridge needs to be running at the time you do this.) The fan is located behind the  evaporator cover behind the shelving and can become encased in ice, stalling the motor and impeding air circulation, resulting in poor cooling. You might also see ice inside the cover air holes...

Edited by KaveMan

With the temperature differences that you are reporting I would suspect a faulty thermistor as 16345Ed mentioned. Thermistors should have been the first thing that were checked by the tech, even before he opened the doors.

Thank you so much for your quick responses!

I believe the first thing he did when the fridge was over cooling and freezing everything was replace the thermistor and I believe the control board. The control board tested out bad when he did a continuity test.

I'll try the magnet thing.

I just want to make sure I'm not crazy or being too picky. The fridge should be within a degree or 2 of the thermometers I have it set to right? If the  the thermometer I have near the back wall says 45 the display should say something close to that right? I figure since the display does not reflect the current temp its something to do with the Thermistors. The display shows that they are reading correct?

The fact it doesn't seem to make as much noise at it usually does seemed weird to me too.

A lot of people over look the thermistors & the ice water test of them. To make sure they stay within specs as they get colder. They are so cheap & go out so often I have no problem just changing them when I have temperature issues.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...