Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Old Maytag Washer Spins, but clothes still wet

Brumski

I have an old Maytag A511 washer that has done me well that came with my first home purchase 3 years ago. This is the first issue I have had with the washer - It appears to be spinning at a high rate, however the clothes are soaking wet at the end of the wash. I put the washer back on "Spin" and open and close the top a few times and it spurts out some extra water and gets a little extra water out of the clothes before I put them in the dryer. The drain tube that goes into utility sink is clear. I have attached some pictures and am looking for any kind of feedback before I start taking apart more things... Does anyone know if there is a lint / hair trap designed in this model - or the best place to check for blockage? Any other maintenance tips are also welcome!

have you tried checking the belts for wear or cracks. the belt or belts may be stretched just enough to not spin the water out enough

Check belts and make sure moter is sliding on its glides,  with belt off spin the pump and see if it spins easy .

Them old Maytags came with rubber drain hoses as well. They kink. They kink worse when hot water is run through them. If the drain hose kinks and restricts the drain flow you can end up with wet clothes. Something to look for.

2 hours ago, evaappliance said:

Check belts and make sure moter is sliding on its glides,  with belt off spin the pump and see if it spins easy .

The belts come as a set. The trans drive belt stretches in use over time way more than the pump drive belt and the pump drive belt limits how far the motor can travel. As you can see the pump’s position can be adjusted if necessary but new belts may be in order. Also check the springs which pull the motor away from the machine’s center to pride belt tension.

To answer the other part of your question, there is no trap or screen on the drain of these. If something is in it it will be in the pump or where the pump to tub hose enters the outer tub 

6 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Check also for siphoning issue. 

As ****ed has said about the siphoning.  If the sink your draining into has a slow drain  to it . It is possible for the drain water to siphoneback into the washer if the end of the drain line is to far into the sink. Make sure the end of the drain hose stays out of the sink water and only goes about 5” down into the sink . 

2 hours ago, darren412 said:

As ****ed has said about the siphoning.  If the sink your draining into has a slow drain  to it . It is possible for the drain water to siphoneback into the washer if the end of the drain line is to far into the sink. Make sure the end of the drain hose stays out of the sink water and only goes about 5” down into the sink . 

Could be draining to a stand pipe and the stand pipe could be slow draining causing the siphoning. 

2 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

Could be draining to a stand pipe and the stand pipe could be slow draining causing the siphoning. 

Yeah I can remember a call I went to  and their complaint was the washer keeps filling. I showed up and thedtsin hose was going down through the floor into the drain line in the basement . The weirdest thing though was that they told me it’s been like that for a while. ?????   I told them they had to get a plumber and put a stand pipe in behind the washer slightly higher than the washer cabinet.  Not sure why it took so long to start syphoning out now ?   Stranger things have happened I guess.

2 hours ago, darren412 said:

Not sure why it took so long to start syphoning out now

Seen the same over the years 

washer is 5 years old and always been that way and now they have problems 

same with dishwashers , a lot of issues can be solved by getting the drainage fixed per installation specs 

Really doubt it's a siphon issue with this one, it's a new enough old model that has the built-in siphon break that the drain hose connects to instead of like the older ones where the drain hose was long and went all the way into the cabinet and attached directly to the pump.

• Like 1

yeah it seems I run into a similar situation when they just hook up a cold water line only and it will run fine for a long time and then all of a sudden you get a call that there washer is not starting. I would pull up the error codes and there would be a long fill code. every one tells me that the washer has been hooked up that way ever since it was installed when there is a cold only line hooked up. They will even say they only wash in cold water.   So I went to a whirlpool vertical top load washer similar to the cabrio style .  Then I hooked up the voltage meter and put the leads on the hot water valve to see if that was getting energized and set the cycle for a cold only wash .  Then I noticed the hot water valve getting energized at some point off and on during the cold water only wash cycle.  I started looking at the tech sheet material  and had read that the machine will try and maintain a certain minimum water temperature even when its on a cold wash only cycle.  So it seems as though when you think that the hot water valve does not get energized at all in a cold wash only cycle ,  that this particular washer was utilizing the hot water valve also.  So I just added  a   Y   hose  to the cold  water inlet line and hooked it up to the hot water inlet valve also and the error code stopped coming up and the washer worked fine after that.  I couldn't figure out why it all of a sudden was acting up with the slow fill error all of a sudden after it was working fine the way it was hooked up for so long.  ???  The customer had said the washer has been working great since I had done that.