LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Frigidaire FWTR445RFS2 washer not spinning

cascadia

Frigidaire washing machine, FWTR445RFS2 motor is not spinning.  It fills, timer runs through cycles and it drains correctly.  Just no spinning.  So far I have tried the following:

1. New motor-tested fine
2. New (refurbished) control module
3. New door lock switch-tested good with meter

Anybody have any recommendations on what to look for next?

Thanks!

Well, since you’ve already thrown all those parts at it. Next thing that comes to mind is pressure (water level) switch and hose. Insure hose and dome on side of tub are clear. 

Did you pull up the error codes  ? Or does this model even give you error codes cascades ?

Edited by darren412

As 16345ed. Had mentioned you have changed a lot already .  I was never a fan on refurbished boards since the 2 times I have tried to use them it did not turn out to be a good experience with either one.  Not that you will have a problem with yours , that’s just my experience. I would check all the wiring from the motor control unit. I am assuming the refurbished board you mentioned was the motor control unit.  The timer you have has a busy wiring harness on it and they sometimes tend to get jogged loose slightly at the harness connection for the timer. Check the timer harness connection and make sure it’s fully locked in and inspect the contacts for any burns or loose wire connections.  Good luck 

The wiring diagram can give you guidance on what  to expect for meter readings at Different points on the motor control harness and it’s adjacent components. If it comes down to either the motor or the motor control unit. You have already replaced the motor so I would assume the motor winding readings will be ok. That would leave you to suspect the wiring  circuits For the timer to the motor control and the wiring from the motor control to the motor,   Etc. .  Check the timer first for loose wire harness connections and make sure it is a tight fit with the wire connections. Then check your other wiring. You could possibly have a bad wire in the harness connection some where. 

Should be a tech sheet in a Manila envelope down near the speed control board or taped behind the bottom access panel. As I recall the door lock was changed and it was a big deal to switch the wiring harness, etc and even one if the counterweights. Also there is a magnet in the detergent drawer that acts upon a read switch, if the drawer is open or the little magnet falls out it won’t do anything unless the drawer is closed. 

Try a known, good motor speed control.

These things also have a bizarre interaction between the old-school mechanical timer and the speed control board. Very tough to diagnose.

11 hours ago, cascadia said:

16345Ed, Thanks for the reply.  Is there a way to test the pressure switch?

Depends on type. Many will be normally open (I believe, check tech sheet) blow in it and it should register some resistance reading. 

The pressure switch checked out fine with the meter and no obstructions in the tubing.

When following the no motor diagnostic steps in the manual I get to step 3

"Remove the four pin plug from the speed control unit.  Measure the voltage drop between pins 2 and 4.  If the meter reads 0 check the motor thermal cut out."

My meter reads 0, what and where is the motor thermal cut out?  Does it have an alternate name that I am missing?

12 hours ago, AccApp said:

These things also have a bizarre interaction between the old-school mechanical timer and the speed control board. Very tough to diagnose.

Older "hybrid" technology.

Mechanical timer allows user input (customer) for cycle selection.

When the timer knob is pulled out to start...the Motor Controller takes over and "runs the cycle".

If the build date (1999) is correct...there was a major service bulletin at that time for complaints of...

"No Spin".

This was for machines still under warranty.

A re-designed Motor Controller...with an electrical noise filter...was introduced.

The source of the "noise"...was the timer (contacts).

John63, interesting information.  Any idea on where to locate one of the redesigned controllers?  Does it have an alternate part number?

6 minutes ago, cascadia said:

John63, interesting information.  Any idea on where to locate one of the redesigned controllers?  Does it have an alternate part number?

Yes...the alternate part number was different from the original.

However...it has been nearly 20 years since that Service Bulletin was published. It would be unlikely any faulty/flawed Motor Controllers are still available.

ElectroluxFrigidaire has a free Service Bulletin website.

www.emaservicetips.com

User: service

Pass: tips

You can find the Service Bulletin and relevant part number.

cascadia...

Have you verified that the inner drum can be rotated/moved by hand?

I serviced a great many of these older front load washers...they were notorious for tub bearing failure...corroded/cracked/disintregrating tub support (spider/trunnion).

It may also be worthwhile to verify that the replacement drive motor part number is correct.

The late 90s was a time when those Frigidaire motors were changing from brush type...to brushless...and possibly other aspects to the design of motor (can't recall all of the specifics).

Also...

When the Motor Controller was damaged (without noise filter)...the motor still functioned (tumble wash...*slow* spin).

It appears from your description that...the motor does not run at all in any part of the cycle. Is that correct?

John63,

The inner drum spins freely by hand.  No previous bearing noise, struts look ok.  No visible broken parts.

Motor part number checks out.  This motor has brushes.

Correct, the motor does not run at any point in the cycle, regardless of cycle chosen.

Agreed, it is a refurbished unit that I purchased a few days ago.  I wish I had a definitive way to know so I could get a replacement from them.

I'm fairly certain that I have several Motor Controllers collecting dust...send me a PM with your address...pay shipping...and it's yours.

Those washers are long gone these days.

That would be fantastic.  I am not sure how to send a PM on this forum:mellow:

Please send me an email at jdsharp9734@gmail.com.

Thanks!

spencertech

timer almost never goes bad but one time I had one of this style that would not spin and it was the timer.

In your particular situation . I’m assuming you have checked all the wiring for continuity and the wiring from from component to component etc. is all good ?  your machine and it’s age has had its major components running without incedent for such a long time tumbling and spinning . I would definitely be checking the complete wiring system first for total continuity in the harness wiring 100% before you continue to keep throwing all these parts into it. Just my opinion.  I may have missed somewhere you had mentioned you fully checked all the wiring continuity for the harness , loose connections, proper live line voltage from wall plug etc I’m sorry you are having such a tough time with your machine .  Perseverance will win in the end  every time.  Good luck.

Thanks Darren412, I've checked the wiring the best of my ability.  I plan to go back over and see if perhaps I overlooked something.

I'm hoping the time and effort will pay off and get it running again.  It has not needed any repair prior to this-so has been a good machine for us.  I'm the type of person that would rather tinker with something until it works than just throw away and buy new.