Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool GI5SVAXVL00

Paulcalif

My Refrigerator fresh food compartment was too warm and the freezer was not cold enough. The refrigerator never shut off, and there was no water coming out of the door. I could hear the solenoid click when I actuated the water paddle.  I thought either the damper was bad or the thermistor in the fridge. I pulled out the damper and it was closed (I thought I might find it stuck open). I opened and closed the damper/vent a couple of times and it seemed fine but I didn't know how to test it electrically. I pulled out the thermistor and tested it at ambient, and in ice water against the specs. It seemed close but not within specs. I don't have my good meter with me and I don't have a thermometer I trust. But I figured I would replace the thermistor and see what happened.

I replaced the thermistor (after searching for it forever). The fridge shut off, I figured success! Put everything back together. The next morning, I came out to a flooded kitchen floor. The fresh food section and the freezer were both flooded. The coils on the right side were covered in ice where I assume water had overflowed into the freezer compartment from the fresh food section above. I defrosted everything with a hair dryer. I figured that it was probably working correctly since there was no ice close to the heater. I thought that there had probably been a lot of moisture/ice built up in the fridge since it had been so cold and it had melted and flowed into the fridge and freezer compartments. Put it all back together, and this morning I have more water, but not as much as the yesterday. So it might be fixed???

But- I am afraid that maybe the water solenoid is leaking by just a little and there is a crack in the water reservoir. I think I hear a very faint noise when the water is turned on but it stops when I turn it off. It's so faint that I'm not sure.

Here is where you flame me - I have a home warranty that expires TODAY. I wasn't going to renew it because it's $610 and there is a $75 copay with each repair. I haven't used it in 2 years. I have turned in a claim but I can still cancel it if I get it fixed before they send someone out.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. 

Paul

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AccApp

• Paulcalif

• 16345Ed

Popular Days

I forgot to mention that the water in the door started working the next morning after the temperature had come back down.

Update: I have a stethoscope. Put that on the back of the fridge and heard a drip drip drip. Turned the water of under the sink and released the pressure, and the drip stops. I haven't torn into the back yet but I assumed that the solenoid was before the reservoir, is that correct? If it is, then it appears that I have two more problems. The Solenoid is leaking by and there is a leak inside somewhere. 

I think the thermistor was bad and it caused the fridge to get too cold. The reservoir froze, expanded, and cracked (or the tubing). Maybe the water in the tubing froze into the solenoid and damaged it too??? I know that's a stretch. 

Anyway - if it was someone else's fridge, it would be a fun puzzle - but it's not!

Your water leak issue is secondary to your main problem, not cooling properly. From your description it may be a defrost system issue. I’d keep the water and ice shut off until you solve the not cooling issue. 

38 minutes ago, AccApp said:

Your water leak issue is secondary to your main problem, not cooling properly. From your description it may be a defrost system issue. I’d keep the water and ice shut off until you solve the not cooling issue. 

I may have misunderstood...

i thought it was warm, he replaced thermistor and it started cooling again, but then the water leaked and froze. 

The not shutting off thing is what I found most troubling in his post. If the thermistor was faulty it would stop running and still be warm. 

• Like 1