Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Strange Problem GE Profile Oven PGS975SEP3SS Cooling fan only turns on when oven is in Bake

abc10011

This is a strange issue I have been having with my GE profile oven for a few years.

When I use broil, or self clean, the cooling fan does not turn on even when the oven gets hot. (Because of this the thermal cutoff has tripped a few times, and I have to buy the new part each time and replace it!).

When in bake, the fan turns on and stays on even when the oven is off until the oven is cool (which is what is supposed to do).

When in broil, and the oven is hot, no cooling fan. If at that moment you put it in bake, the fam immediately turns on and stays on even if you go back to broil.

In essence, even though the fan is supposed to trigger at a certain temperature and stay on until it drops below a certain temp, it will not trigger to turn on if the oven is not in bake mode.

Any ideas?!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedi Appliance Guy

• abc10011

• Lighthouse

• Brendan C

Step one would be to look at the tech sheet and verify the wires to your cooling fan and fan thermal switch are going where they are supposed to. If you've replaced the TCO already, chances are you've seen it. 

I've searched the site for your model. Uploading a picture of your tech sheet might be helpful. 

Very nice. 

Visit page 72, follow the instructions to recall error codes. Record your findings. Then exit error code mode. (Believe it or not there is a slim chance this might correct your issue)

Familiarize yourself with page 50 & 51 accessing the ERC 

your wiring diagram is on pages 77 & 78

Tell us more about when this all started. 

By what you describe, it sounds like the ERC but your oven is no virgin and ERCs are expensive so it might be best to make sure nothing is out of place. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

I went into the mode to recover the error codes. The only thing it said was 6070 Which is not in any manual anywhere, so I have no idea what it means.

I looked at the wiring diagram and figured it out. Basically the cooling fan runs to the main board. That's pretty much it, nothing in between.

Problem started in June of 2015. We purchased the appliance in Sept 2012.

Once again, if it has been on broil for a while and it's hot, then if you hit bake, even for a second, the fan starts up. Then even if you exit bake, the fan keeps going. So it's very strange.

As per manual:

The cooling fans will not turn on immediately when a cooking function is set. THEY WILL TURN ON AFTER 12 MINUTES. If the temperature is set over 300°F (149°C) and the oven is turned off, the fans will remain on until the temperature drops below 300°F (149°C) or 85 minutes has elapsed.

Since it is turned on after 12 minutes it could be something in the programming of the board.

Extremely knowledgeable in the ways of the Force Lighthouse is. 

There doesn't seem to be any physical problems therefore it must be mental. A personality disorder perhaps. (Or maybe crud on the personality jumper connections one exist)

Relax on the couch. Breathe in, breathe out. Tell us more about June of 2015.

Chances are you need to replace the ERC but it couldn't hurt to explore things further. 

I don't recall much.

I just know that one day the oven died while broiling something. So I replaced the cutoff limit switch.

Then a little while later, I was in the kitchen, and was broiling something. And I saw it die. And realized the cooling fan was off.

So I replaced it again, said we shouldn't broil anything. Then I started testing to see what triggers the cooling fan.

Based on everything you all are saying, it makes sense to be the ERC. But at this point, I'll just skip using broil. It's cheaper...

I actually called GE and they told me I'm not under warranty, so no dice. Also haven't seen anyone online with an issue like this. So it's a bit interesting.

Research shows the part number to be

WB27XT10813

I searched online and  found some for over $200 some less. 

Get one for your wife.

Just not for her birthday or your anniversary or Mother's day or any other occasion involving flowers 

• 1 year later...

Samanera,

I'm having a similar problem. Oven just died last night, no power to anything (buttons, clock, lights, spark starter... all dead). Before I replace the ERC, you said you'd replaced some cutoff switch to bring power back but I can't find the part you're referencing. Figured it may be cheaper to try that switch first before the control board.

Thanks!

Brendan