Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag LAT8520BAW Load Balance Issue

unclev

Hello all,

This washer started walking and banging with an unbalanced load. This 26 year old washer uses the 3 felt pads and the 3 large springs under the tub. I removed the 3 springs, documenting their original tension positions with tape. Replaced the felt pads, high temp glue and lubricant. (All OEM Maytag) Replaced springs to original positions and now the issue seems even worse than before. Please tell me what am I missing? So many people replaced the pads and resolved this problem. Any professional help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Uncle V

Gotta have a very stable floor. Any give to the floor at all and it will walk and bang. Make sure the legs are as short as possible sitting solid on the floor with the machine level. I can't remember but if you can catch another notch on the springs go for it.

• Like 1

Hello, Thank you for the response. Actually in my case the legs were about an inch higher so I lowered all four to 1/2 inch from the ground and leveled. It seems to be level? I measured using a smartphone level and it is less than one degree on all four sides. The springs on this model only attach at one point. If I tighten or loosen it must be with via the eyebolts that hold it base of the chassis.    

26 years old , prob time for some new springs , lost their correct tension 

if the legs don't do the trick, and your floor is good , it WILL be the snubbers . not meaning any  disrespect to the other guys, but in 26 years of this , i have never seen a bad spring , but anything is possible ! 

My model Maytag did not use a plastic snubber ring it used the three felt damper pads which I already replaced and lubricated. I know this may sound strange but it seems like it's even worse than before I replace the pads. It's residing on the same floor that it did for the last 26 years and the floor is solid. Here's a question about leveling. I lowered all four feet and it does not wobble. I originally check the level with my smartphone. I just checked it with a traditional level at various points on the top and it seems to be slightly out of level. Does the bubble have to be exactly between the two black lines because it definitely isn't it's a little off not a lot but a little I guess the question is would that make a difference? I guess my question is how much tolerance do I have on leveling?

Sounds like the machine is level enough. 

It's possible the spanner nut cracked from age allowing the spin basket to shift out of center. 

Is the tub egg shaped? Had one recent with this problem.

One thing I would love to have know is when this was originally manufactured at the original Newton Maytag plant back in the day is how they set the tension on the three springs and what specs they followed. Everywhere I read when replacing the springs is to just mark the bolt with tape so it can be set back to that tension. That bolt is very long and my pads were worn now there new. I still think this has something to do with the issue? I will check the spanner nut. I presume if I remove the agitator I can see it?  

3 minutes ago, unclev said:

I presume if I remove the agitator I can see it?  

Yes

• 7 months later...

It looks like aan issue where the tranny is seated on the support at the bottom. I am seeing some play there.

usually if the snubber pads are wore out , your tub will be very stiff to move .

that would cause the whole machine to move in spin.