LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Refrigerator Model GX2FHDXVQ07 - Ice Build-up Behind Rear Wall

Timboroni

In that case, use a turkey baster, or even better...a steamer to clean out the line. I think that's the best, and good luck with your fridge!

On 4/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, Timboroni said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :D

So far, everything looks good. I will wait until next weekend, remove the evaporator cover, take a picture and post it here.

Excellent plan.

Good luck. 

this is not a sealed system issue..  the flow of refrigerant goes down on one side then up the other, system failure will not cause this.  what is causing this is the control board, the relay for the compressor is stuck closed,the compressor is running during defrost,so the heater never clears all the frost and turns the top layer to ice.   simple test... turn fridge to "cooling off" from the controls, wait 5 min and listen, you will hear the compressor run while the fridge is supposed to be off.

btw... the compressor running 24/7 will not freeze food in the FF compartment cause the damper is still closing, however, you will have some darn hard icecream  :P

Edited by BrntToast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sound advice burnt toast. I was sort of feeling it is going to end up being the jazz board myself,

Looks like BrntToast has nailed it 

(Without having to take a second look at the coil I might add)

Nice work and thanks, I'll remember that one. 

On 4/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, Timboroni said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :D

So far, everything looks good. I will wait until next weekend, remove the evaporator cover, take a picture and post it here.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:31 PM, 16345Ed said:

Personally I’d want to know before I loaded it with food again. 

Thats why I’d take a simple temperature check of condenser coils. 

16345ed   For a proper running sealed system ,  what is the proper temperature reading I should be getting from condenser coil ??   90F to 100 - 110F  ??

41 minutes ago, darren412 said:

16345ed   For a proper running sealed system ,  what is the proper temperature reading I should be getting from condenser coil ??   90F to 100 - 110F  ??

Ambient +30

Just now, 16345Ed said:

Ambient +30

Thanks brother . I appreciate the help and quick response.  I will remember that.  

Possibly the compressor is still running during defrost, which would be a jazz board failure.

On 4/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, Jedi Appliance Guy said:

The lack of frost on the lower half of the coil is disturbing. 

Back when I was just a young Jedi Apprentice, one of the Masters at the shop sat down with me and asked me if I knew the difference between frost and ice. We talked about it for a little while. He knew it was an important lesson for me to learn if I was ever to become a Jedi.

We talked about how frost was frozen condensation or moisture in the air coming in contact with a frozen surface. ( We weren't scientists, just an older shop guy having a conversation with a kid who wanted to learn). We talked about how you might see a frost buildup on a defrost problem or where fresh air was getting into a freezer maybe because of a bad gasket or a door being left ajar. 

We talked about how ice was frozen water. It could be frost that had melted and frozen again or water that had leaked from an ice maker for whatever reason. 

At the end of the conversation we both agreed that ice is icy and frost is frosty.

That was about 37 years ago and I'll never forget it.

When talking about frost and ice, it is important to use the right words. 

Edited by Jedi Appliance Guy

When I saw the lack of frost on that evaporator coil, I thought "sealed system" but not enough to commit to it without another look at the coil. A normal frost pattern on the second look after the fridge was defrosted, would mean a defrost issue, and a partial frost pattern would pretty confirm sealed system issues. One thing about this coil seemed odd. There was the ICE ball but there was also the FROST along the top of the coil. 

No doubt our learned friend BrntToast has seen this combination of frost and ice before and picked right up on it, and knew exactly what it was. 

• 1 year later...

Did anyone find out what happened to this problem, no final fix? I had the same issue and the defrost thermostat was open (EEP'S from the board!!), i think this is a thermostat that was opening the circuit to soon then now completely failed like i had.