LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

A Good large countertop microwave that is reliable, durable, doesn’t CATCH FIRE?

‘Shel

Hi guys!  My 2cf 1200-watt Sharp Carousel finally rust-perforated and sparked after 20+ years, and I regret losing it, since newer replacements are only expected to last 2-5 yrs ??.  My research on consumer testing sites on newer models turned up a lot of unhelpful advice involving style, trendiness, and so-called “multi-use” gadgety/silly features that will likely shorten the life of the unit and/or make it dangerous to use.  Sadly, it’s the nature of heavily-electronic devices to burn out (especially control panels), but a survey of consumer reviews seems to suggest that when certain highly-rated units do go bad, they are downright dangerous:  Smoking; meltdown of fan cowl; stinking burnout of diode and magnetron ($$$), meltdown of glass turntable (!); sparking; door switches and latch go out, starts running when door is open; starts spontaneously when no one is home; catching fire!  

Can anyone tell me of a make/model that is more reliable than most, that repair shops will actually work on?  From what I can see, the very simple low-end 1.6cf HMM1611ST and 1.8 cf MCD1811ST 1100-watt Magic Chef has less to go wrong with it, and most complaints seem to center on not heating, or cheap-looking, rather than fireworks.  I don’t care about color (but wish it was bigger, would rather have 1200 Watts), just want something efficient that is safe to use, at least until the new transistor-generator ones are practical to buy.

Any thoughts?  Any real no-no’s? What about that Colorado-made Big Chill?

Check out  sharps commercial 1000 watt counter top microwaves  ($300-$$500). Not sure how durable  their model really is  A  1200 watt sharp commercial grade microwave will jump up to ($750-$1000)  the problem is , that to get what you really are looking for , will not be inexpensive . You may want to consider spending something in the commercial grade type of microwave.  If that’s not in your budget then try hitting consignment shops and second hand furniture etc shops that sell used household stuff. Places like that. I’m sure your going to bump in to something older in a microwave that may or may not be what your looking for . You may even find the same microwave for sale in one of these shops. I have seen a lot of the older reliable counter top microwaves in these shops. Some Good will stores have used appliances in some of their stores also. You will be surprised what you find in these consignment and good will stores. The best part will be the price !  If you find Any manufacturer of the older countertop microwaves that will fit in to what your looking for will probably last you longer than a new one.   Just my opinion and have fun exploring and looking for something in shop or place near you ?

• Like 1

If you want one that lasts longer and is more worth paying for repairs then look into commercial microwaves. Basicly all microwave parts are made by the same  companies. The only thing the manufacture does is design it, build or buy boards and assemble it.. The magnetrons, capacitors, transformers, diodes, switches and other electronics are labeled and shipped to whirlpool, Ge or whoever for assembly. Commercial microwaves take you away from that pattern. 

Other option is to buy a reasonably priced microwave and plan on replacing it when needed. 

Over the range microwaves used to start out around $600.00. Now you can pick one up for around $200.00 for a nice stainless steel model. They cost less now because they are made with cheaper parts. 

Edited by johntech
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johntech said:

If you want one that lasts longer and is more worth paying for repairs then look into commercial microwaves. Basicly all microwave parts are made by the same  companies. The only thing the manufacture does is design it, build or buy boards and assemble it.. The magnetrons, capacitors, transformers, diodes, switches and other electronics are labeled and shipped to whirlpool, Ge or whoever for assembly. Commercial microwaves take you away from that pattern. 

Other option is to buy a reasonably priced microwave and plan on replacing it when needed. 

Over the range microwaves used to start out around $600.00. Now you can pick one up for around $200.00 for a nice stainless steel model. They cost less now because they are made with cheaper parts. 

Yeah I second that John. ?

• Like 1

The reson you hear about micros melting now days is that infor matrion flows easier shorrt news cycle and. The internet. Etc. as johntech siad they are all the same. Its the high power that causes early failure. So alower 8-900 w att may do better. 

JohnTech and Darren412,

Thanks for your input, some good thoughts ?. Does anyone have an opinion on including a convection function with the unit?  I wonder if it might be part of the component overheating problem.  

I would not buy a convection microwave. If I wanted convection cooking I would buy an oven with convection. Most people with convection microwaves do not use that feature. Convection significantly increases the cost of the microwave but the microwave portion is basicly the same with normal failure rate. People are more inclined to repair because the initial cost is so high.  So when it would normally be cheaper to replace the microwave they may pay $350.00+ to repair. Manufactures want microwaves to be disposable. A lot of the time they will make the control or the touch pad retail for around the same cost as the microwave did new. 

Can save money if you fix it yourself but unless you have a wholesale parts supplier then you still may spend as much to repair as you would to replace.

• Like 1