Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore 106.56536400 Control Board Code Needed

California Girl

California Girl

I have a 14 year old Kenmore sidexside refrigerator - Model 106.56536400.  A "tech" came out to diagnose the failure of my freezer to defrost.  He ruled out the thermostat and the defrost heater and then said he couldn't test the electronic control board because there wasn't "enough ice on the coils"!!!  I think he may have known that the part I need 8201661 is no longer being made.  I found a remanufactured one and would like to install it myself, but from the videos I've seen, I need a CODE to program it once its installed.  The manufacturer's tag on the inside of my fridge compartment does not say "Code" anywhere.  I wanted to attach a photo of the label but it doesn't appear that I have that option.  I would appreciate ANY help in determining how to program this Control Board once I have it installed.  Thanks VERY much!!!

Try calling kenmore. You unit was made by whirlpool, but it being labeled as kenmore i cant look up the code. It is  alwasy on the tag unless it rubbed off?

California Girl

Thanks for the suggestion.  I wish I could post the tag so you could see. I am only given the option of posting a URL or an "existing attachment."

California Girl

Thank you so much, Learning Tech, for your suggestion.  I wish I could insert the tag. I can input an emoji but not cut and paste a photo!!!??? 

Perhaps there is something else on it that indicates the "code" without saying "Code"???

The whirlpool branded tags with a code look like this. 

91F38A7E-D838-4C26-B6C2-57EA7C183B08.jpeg

• Like 2

You're most likely not looking at videos for your exact model, those videos that you watched would be for the JAZZ board models.  This board looks similar to the JAZZ board that you need to enter a setup code on but this board goes by some other name, (not sure what they call it - doesn't really matter but it isn't a JAZZ board)

As far as I'm aware of these side x side units do not need any code entered, just replace the board.

If the model/serial number tag doesn't say CODE with a 4 digit number after it like in the picture @Diesel Appliantologist then you don't have any codes to enter or worry about.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair
  • Like 1

California Girl

Thank you Diesel !   There is NO mention of "Code" at all on my Tag.  Does this mean that the new board will be a "Plug-and-Play"?  

There is a service manual for my model at http://t.co/ZmF3F8Uf  but I don't have access to it because of my novice status.  

Would this manual contain any further information about the control board code????? 

Kenmore Refrigerator Model #106.56536400 http://t.co/ZmF3F8Uf

Thanks again very much!!!!

@California Girl from everything I am seeing, your board should be plug and play. The model from above that shows the required code, has this section in the service manual:

I do not see anything like that for your model.

MVIMG_20180523_125139_exported_4191226871006431069_20180523125626030.jpg

• Like 1

California Girl

Thanks so much for your research and ongoing help!  You are a wonderful resource!

• 3 weeks later...
California Girl

Dear EVERYONE who has contributed - PLEASE point me in the right direction.  I feel like I'm drowning and REALLY Need your HELP!!!

it is now three weeks later and I ordered a remanufactured control board (from the Midwest / USA) that arrived bent in a 90-degree angle the WRONG WAY so that the control buttons pointed inward - rather than outward.  After two weeks, I got my money back.   

I called Sears and spoke to FIVE different people in India and two of them tried to get me to order the Icemaker Control board - rather than the Central Computer Control Board.  All they wanted me to do was schedule a technician to come out for an over-priced service call. 

I keep defrosting my freezer but it seems to be getting worse.  Now the defrosting (via removing the back wall of the freezer compartment and using a hair dryer to melt the ice) is buying me less time.  I just did it last night and the refrigerator is still at 40 degrees!!!

I live in Los Angeles and have already paid a "licensed, certified repair company" for a service call where they told me that they couldn't diagnose the control board until there was more ice on the coils.  Of course this is ridiculous, but I need to find someone honest and capable who can actually fix this issue WITH a reliable part.

PLEASE reply.  All responses appreciated!!!  Thank you!!!

I put that board in APDA Part Finder and nothing popped up for for anyone having it in stock. 

I looked it up Core Centric website by the old number and they can repair your board. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2252183-Refrigeration-Main-Board-Control-REPAIR-SERVICE-/160908464204?hash=item2576e4504c

If you search Ebay for part# 8201661 you will find a couple brand new ones for $207.99, (both the same part from Sears), and another brand new for $175.00 but absolutely no returns on the $175 one.

I would suggest this one, a re-manufactured one direct from CoreCentric Solutions already re-manufacture and you don't have the shipping cost of sending yours in or the refrig being down until yours is rebuilt.

Ebay from CoreCentric Solutions with a 6 month warranty: $135.69 + FREE Ship
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EHP-Whirlpool-Refrigeration-8201661/162692189927?epid=1839560521&hash=item25e135cee7:g:waEAAOSwqXZZz4OP

California Girl

Yes, 16345Ed.  The Board you pictured is the one I purchased from Factorysonline.com (who obtain their remanufactured parts from Parts Simple - which IS Core-Centric ).  As I said, it arrived bent in a 90-degree angle with the control buttons facing inward instead of outward.  They admitted the board was not functional in this configuration and they refunded my money.

Thank you, Lighthouse.  But I believe that CoreCentric was the re-manufacturer of the board I received.  Their address matches the Parts Simple return address where I sent the board back. 

Thank you for the link, William.  I am a little leery about trying another re-manufactured board.  Do you think it would do me any good to call Core Centric and explain my previous problem? 

16 minutes ago, California Girl said:

Do you think it would do me any good to call Core Centric and explain my previous problem? 

Sure wouldn’t hurt 

On the board that the display was bent the wrong direction you could have just carefully bent it back to the correct direction and it would have most likely been fine as long as none of the connecting wires broke when bent back to correct direction.  The connection wires are pretty durable if they are bent slowly back correctly and not bent back and forth multiple times.

• Like 1

California Girl

Thank you, William Burk, for the suggestion.  Since it was re-manufactured,  and was also out of alignment laterally, I wasn't sure how many times it had already been bent.  I would have thought that if Core Centric is really maintaining such high standards in their re-manufacture of the board, that they would have seen it was not in the right configuration before sending it - wouldn't you?