Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GFWN1600J0WW pauses, no spin

herfdog

The complaint is that this washer will not spin and it pauses on it's own. Apparently it can be restarted. I thought perhaps it was unbalanced or there may be a problem with the door latch since i could get it to spin and latch normally in spin and drain cycle.

The problem I had was when I put it in diagnostic mode it would go into the mode to t01without any problem but the  tech sheet did not give any indication as to how to pan through to other functions.  I tried using the select knob, the start button and the power button to pan through functions but couldn't get it out of the t01 setting. Does anyone know how to pan through the functions of the diagnostic mode? also, any other ideas as to what the problem might be since it works for me?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• herfdog

• Richard Demint

• Lighthouse

Richard Demint

looks like rotating the selector knob changes the test, holding start/pause commences test and power button returns ends that test.

The washer control has a service test mode that can be utilized by the service technician in order to test critical components and to access error codes. This test mode will help the service technician to quickly identify failed or improper operation of washer components.
Caution: Testing is accomplished through built-in test procedures. Unplugging components for testing can damage component connections.
Machine must be in idle mode before entering a test. Idle mode occurs when the washer has completed a cycle. If the cycle is interrupted, the washer will drain water when the power is reapplied. The water must be emptied BEFORE the test mode can be entered. If water remains in the washer, manually drain the washer to empty. A failed water level switch can cause an inability to enter the service test mode.
To enter the test mode: To exit the test mode: 1. Begin with the washer in idle mode (all LED's RQWKHGLVSOD\RȺ
2. Press the following key sequence to enter service mode, depending on the model:
• Temp -->Delay Wash -->Temp -->Delay Wash
• Signal -->Extra Rinse -->Signal -->Delay Rinse
• Temp -->Delay Start -->Temp -->Delay Start                       NOTE: The sequence must be done in order. If there are any other button presses or buttons pressed out of order, the sequence must be started from the beginning. Test t01 will show in the display.
1. Press Power button.
NOTE: Attempting to exit the service test mode by disconnecting the power will result in a locked washer.
Test Mode Description t01 Model ID 9HUL¿HV RUVHWVRQQHZERDUG WKHSURSHUPRGHO,' t02 Fault Codes Lists up to 10 control-detected problems t03 Software ID 9HUL¿HVXVLQJODWHVW8/FRGH²&RQWURO³Inverter software t04 LED Illumination and Button Test 9HUL¿HVWKDWDOOGLVSOD\VDQGEXWWRQVZRUN t05 Pump Test Operates pump t06 Water level sensor )LOOVWRDOO¿OOOHYHOVWKHQSXPSVRXWZDWHU t07 Thermistor/Heater Test 9HUL¿HVWKDWERWKWKHWKHUPLVWRUDQGKHDWHUZRUN t08 Steam test 9HUL¿HVKRWZDWHUYDOYHZRUNV t09 Spray test 9HUL¿HVFROGZDWHUYDOYHZRUNV t10 Tumble Test 9HUL¿HVZDVKHUWXPEOHV LHZDVKF\FOH t11 Spin Test 9HUL¿HVZDVKHUVSLQV t12 Dispenser Test 9HUL¿HVGLVSHQVHU¿OOZRUNVIRUDOOIRXU¿OOPRGHV t13 EOL Test Performs factory end-of-line test sequence
– 60 –
Test Mode
Press Displays Exit
t01 Start/ Pause
'LVSOD\GH¿QHVPRGHOLG $OZD\VGLVSOD\VZKHQFRQWURO board replaced. Proper model must be set when control board replaced. Rotate knob until desired selection is displayed (01-02), then press and hold Start/Pause until beep.
Press Power. Returns to t01
t02 Start/ Pause
Displays the most recent fault code (E00 = none). Repeat pressing Start/ Pause to display up to previous 10 fault  codes. Press and hold Start/ Pause to clear all fault  codes. (Will then display E00.)
Press Power.
Returns to t02
t03 Start/ Pause
Displays software revision numbers. Press Start/Pause to alternate between UL (UL code), Cod (Control code), and InV (Inverter software version)
Press Power.
Returns to t03
t04 Start/ Pause
Displays and tests loops on lighting of LEDs and cycle lights.
Buttons beep when pressed.
Press Power.
Returns to t04
t05 Start/ Pause
Displays P and operates pump for 60 seconds, then returns to t05. Press Power.
Returns to t05
t06 Start/ Pause
Water level test. On entry, the control display the water level frequency. Pressing Start/Pause, Fill water from the cold valve to foam level, then SUHVVLQJ6WDUW3DXVH¿OOZDWHUWRPDLQOHYHO3UHVVLQJ6WDUW3DXVHDJDLQ ¿OOZDWHUWRRYHUÀRZOHYHODIWHUUHDFKHGWKHQSXPSVZDWHURXW7KH water frequency always change follow the water change.
Press Power.
Pump runs.
Returns to t06
t07 Start/ Pause
Water heater/thermistor test . (Note: Main level switch must be functional.) Fills with water to main level, then operates heater for up to 5 minutes. Displays temperature of water, as heated, in degrees Fahrenheit. After 5 minutes, water pumps out , then returns to t07.
Press Power.
Pump runs.
Returns to t07
t08 Start/ Pause
Steam test. 7XUQRQWKHVWHDPZDWHUYDOYHDQG¿OOWKHWXEXQWLOWKH6WHDPOHYHOUHDFK The heater be turned on for a maximum of 1 minutes. The 7SD shall VKRZ´6W(µ:KHQWLPHRXWH[SLUHVWXUQRȺWKHKHDWHUSXPSVRXWZDWHU and returns to t08
Press Power.
Pump runs.
Returns to t08
t09 Start/ Pause
Turn on the Spray water valve and Drain pump at same time, the drum will spin at 92rpm CCW for 3 minutes. The 7SD shall show “SPr”. :KHQWLPHRXWH[SLUHVWXUQRȺWKHVSUD\YDOYHSXPSVRXWZDWHUDQG returns to t09
Press Power.
Pump runs.
Returns to t09

Thanks for the info here, looks different from tech sheet on machine though. Also, I do not see a spin test here, tech sheet shows it at t11. Unfortunately rotating the selector did not change the test.

Richard Demint
57 minutes ago, herfdog said:

Thanks for the info here, looks different from tech sheet on machine though. Also, I do not see a spin test here, tech sheet shows it at t11. Unfortunately rotating the selector did not change the test.

looks like t09 is the spin test from what I can tell but if you can not get it into dianostics? Any error codes thrown? any previous work recently?

also noticed this: NOTE: Attempting to exit the service test mode by disconnecting the power will result in a locked washer.

17 hours ago, Richard Demint said:

looks like t09 is the spin test from what I can tell

GE site said TS for this machine is 31-16873-2 which says that t11 is spin test. t09 is spray test but it is supposed to spin a little in spray test.

Richard Demint
On 5/24/2018 at 9:41 AM, herfdog said:

The complaint is that this washer will not spin and it pauses on it's own. Apparently it can be restarted. I thought perhaps it was unbalanced or there may be a problem with the door latch since i could get it to spin and latch normally in spin and drain cycle.

The problem I had was when I put it in diagnostic mode it would go into the mode to t01without any problem but the  tech sheet did not give any indication as to how to pan through to other functions.  I tried using the select knob, the start button and the power button to pan through functions but couldn't get it out of the t01 setting. Does anyone know how to pan through the functions of the diagnostic mode? also, any other ideas as to what the problem might be since it works for me?

One other thing i thought of is that some machines have an automatic soak in certain cycles which would look like a pause no spin issue for a brief period of time. Not sure on you getting it into diagnostics but you can get it to spin and cycle normally and thats what made me think wash cycle with automatic soak. other then that I would unplug wire harness connections,inspect and reinsert and retry diagnostics again. Sometimes getting into diagnostics is worse then the actual repair.

Thanks for all the reply's, some good information here! Perhaps this is nothing more than operator error.

Just to be clear, I am not having any trouble getting into diagnostic mode. My problem is moving through the various tests in diagnostics. I can only get to t01 and I see no fault codes. I cannot move from t01 to t02, etc. The washer never locked up either.