Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

wader072174

Kitchen Aid fridge KFIV29PCMS03

wader072174

Hello,

I had a storm knock out my kitchen aid fridge compressor/inverter board. I replaced them together as compressor comes with new inverter board. I was wondering if anyone had experience with charging these units. The low side pressure is going from 20psi to a 20 vacuum throughout. My experience with traditional compressors is to charge to a 5psi low side and be done. Does anyone know what psi these inverter compressors usually run at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Richard Demint

Stop! You can not charge these systems by psi. You must weigh in the exact charge. well that is if you do not want to have issues like you are having. Is it a dual evaporator unit? different steps if thats the case. You change out filter drier? When correctly done and after an hour or so the low side should read just about 0psi, Any higher compressor not efficient, if your pulling down to -20 vaccum on your gauges then that would indicate a restriction. Remember the filter drier, if you did replace it which you most definitely should have  your capillary may have gotten brazed shut.

wader072174

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes this is a dual evaporator unit. The unit had been running for around three hours and I have a low side pressure of about 2 psi. And a freezer temp of 13 degrees and dropping very slowly. I completely get what you are saying about exact change. (These aren’t your grandpas compressors anymore.) Hoping I nailed charge based on luck and playing with charge. Won’t be doing this again! 

Richard Demint

on a dual evap unit there is a 3 way valve that needs to be in the home position(open to both evaps) before you can fully pull a vaccum. I always pull from low and high side. Follow these and you will get all moisture out of system and all should be good.

Royal

Frost on half of the EVAP coil...not freezing food..compressor hot to the touch