Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool GC900PPB6 Trash Compactor will not reverse

todd5pt0

I have a Whirlpool GC900PPB6 Trash Compactor that is 14 months old and off warranty.  When I push Start button, the ram will lower down to the bottom of the cycle and stop.  At this time the compactor makes a metal grinding noise.  It will not reverse and move up.  I have it torn down and have cycled the ram down several times.  I have to manually turn the gear on the bottom to get the ram back up to the top position.  I have tested the motor and centrifugal switch with an ohm meter according to the tech sheet found inside the compactor.  Can't figure out what is wrong.  

Richard Demint

Need to test all switches on this, top and bottom. the most common thing to go wrong on these is the switch in the motor or your top limit directional switch. Keep testing and you will find it.

• Like 1

Make sure the gears are not stripped, if the moter doesn’t stall at the bottom it will not reverse 

Thanks for the advice.  Is it the top limit switch that senses the stall and reverses the motor?  I broke the top limit switch when I was taking the ram out while troubleshooting.  I have a new switch on order.  

I’m not positive, but I don’t think it will be the top switch. The last one I did was doing the same thing and it was this , WP9870037. I put these and power nuts on .  I agree that if it is a switch it will be the moter switch but if it is not stalling at the bottom look into these other parts . 

I was looking at those power stops on my compactor while the ram was going down.  So the theory is the power stop is too short and ram goes down too far?  The pin and speed nuts on the power nuts were loose.  I replaced those with bolts and nylon nuts thinking the power nuts were binding because they were loose.

I also took the ram out and cycled the ram screws forward and reverse by manually flipping upper limit switch.  There was no hesitation or grinding in the motor as it reversed direction.  My problem has to be ram related.

if the top of the stops are (mushroomed ) out then they need replaced , but if you have already replaced the power nuts then my theory may not be the answer  

I flipped the compactor on it's side and watched the gear set on the bottom while cycling the machine.  Sure enough the small gear is spinning on the large gear.  I have ordered a replacement gear set.  Thanks so much for all the repair advice.

I have seen a couple do that !  great catch !