Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore 461.98475 fridge has ice on rear pipe

Snazzed75

What does this mean, and how do I fix it?  I will be unplugging, cleaning and defrosting this weekend, but I've never seen this before.

I don't know why the picture is inserting upside down...   but there you go.

IcedFridge.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evaappliance

• Snazzed75

A few things, i would check in this order,   It just needs defrosted very bad ,    Or there is a small tube attached to the big one with the ice on it , and runs up to the evaporator, if the tubes become separated over time this will happen, if you find this I can tell you how to fix it ,  and lastly, it could be overcharged, either from the factory or by someone adding to much Freon .  

Thanks EvaAppliance.

I'll defrost it starting today and check back in after the weekend...  the freezer *is* really iced up.

Definitely not over-charged...  this thing is at least 10years old and we have never had it re-charged.

Thanks again!
     Snazzed

cool !  if it starts iceing   back up within a week or so , check for the 2nd thing I mentioned . good luck !

Uh oh.  Icing up within a week or so?  It's been plugged in for a few hours and its already got a layer of frost forming!

Help!

further up that line it will have insulation on it, split that and you should see a bigger line with a very small line attached to it , if the lines have separated get a small bare length of copper wire and wrap it around both lines to hold them together the entire length of the insulation , then wrap and duct tap the insulation back around the lines.   if the lines are still together and doing that still , that's where things will get weird !    

Update:  I've been keeping an eye on it for a few days...   it frosts up while the compressor is running.  When the fridge is cold enough the compressor stops and the frost melts and evaporates. 

Normal?  Or should I be looking for separation?

Thanks!

Doesn't sound like a huge deal , but i would look . That line ( when everything is exactly right ) should frost up when the compressor first comes on , but after about a minute or so of the compressor running it should thaw off and most of the time dry up . So i’m Thinking there’s a good chance they are separated