LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Gas Dryer WGD5900SOW heats but flame eventually goes out and clothes are not dryingy

wrldzfstst

It looks like when started everything works fine, gas ignites and dryer gets warm, however eventually (10 minutes or so) the burner shuts off and doesn't come back on.  I was just wondering what parts to test, I replaced the thermal fuse 3 years ago or so.  Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wrldzfstst

• darren412

• Lighthouse

• LearningTech

Gas valve coils, will test good when cold but will drop out after warming up

Is the vent clean? Does it do this with the vent hose disconnected?

I second coils... Though I would check the vent and make sure clear as a plugged vent can surely cause this...

Look at the front  panel at the bottom left corner. There will be a little white square that you can pop off the front panel to observe the gas burner igniting. After 7 to 10  minutrs start observing the gas burner burner through that observation hole and see if the igniter glows on and off again when it wants to cycle and turn the gas flow on for drying purposes.  When it’s properly running the igniter will glow red and then after that the gas flow should be introduced in to the burner tube for ignition. You will hear several clicks also during the process.  The tip to a bad set of coils can be that you don’t hear any clicking sounds at all during the cycle process. If it does not ignite at this point as it did before and the igniter just keeps glowing then shutting off again and again when you first started the drying cycle process , then most likely you may have a bad set of gas valve coils that are weak. It can be your timer acting up but from your symptoms it sounds like it will be the coils as Evaappliance had mentioned. 

Thanks to all for the advice, I replaced the solenoid coils and first load just finished, all seems good!  So hopefully it will stay good, thanks again for all of the knowledge.  The old coils tested fine so I guess there is a limit to testing,.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:05 PM, wrldzfstst said:

Thanks to all for the advice, I replaced the solenoid coils and first load just finished, all seems good!  So hopefully it will stay good, thanks again for all of the knowledge.  The old coils tested fine so I guess there is a limit to testing,.

Great job glad it’s up and drying for you again