LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Amana ASD2624HES - evap fan

jgastonl

I usually have some defrosting issues with my fridge that can usually be fixed by defrosting manually (hair dryer).  I usually do it quarterly maybe.  This last time, I noticed that the evap fan was not working.  After opening up the freezer side, I gave the fan a thump. It quickly started as usually.  I thought it was strange but figure maybe a little ice got stuck on it.  I did this about three more times until I had time to work on it.  I had an extra evap fan motor so I just swapped them out.  Now the evap fan won't run at all.  The bottom part of the freezer gets cold but top as expected does not without the fan.  This led me to troubleshoot the fan motor. The "new" one reads the same impedances across the terminals (set at my highest ohm setting, 2000k) - 1.  I think that means its too high to read.  The old motor reads the same except one terminal reads 0.87k (ground to one winding, can't remember which).  I'm not sure what I should be reading but I thought that the two leads should read the same and not be different.

I'm just confused as to why the old motor would work and the so called new one doesn't. 

They don’t call out the windings on the fan in the tech sheet just the rpm (2800),  wattage (5.9 with in 15%) and voltage (115vac) If the new fan is receiving voltage but not turning then the new fan is bad. We all get bad parts right out of the box from time to time.

• Like 2

Correct as johntech stated... check for voltage at fan motor when it should be running. 

You also need to troubleshoot your defrost system failure so you don’t have to manually defrost all the time. 

• Like 3