Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Washer GTW460ASJ0WW Tub Won't Fill

AlaskaErik

My 2.5 year old GE washer won't fill the tub.  It runs for a second several times, like it always has, but then instead of filling the tub with water, it goes straight into the wash mode.  It might put a little water in there, but not enough to cover the clothes.  Both hot and cold valves are turned on.  It doesn't matter which laundry size I select and hitting the "Deep Fill" button does nothing, except turn the light on.  I'm thinking water level sensor.  What kind of fix is that?  Thanks!

Some additional information...  I filled the tub with warm water from my utility sink and the wash cycle proceeded normally.  The rinse cycle was also normal and the tub filled up completely with cold water, so I don't believe the water level sensor is the problem.  I had "Warm" selected for water temperature.  Maybe the inlet solenoid?   I checked the water lines in the back and they're not kinked.  When this load is done I'm going to pull the hot water hose and check to make sure the screen isn't clogged.   

Problem most likely resolved.  The hot water inlet was packed with a gritty sand.  There was so much it was backed up into the hose.  Which really surprised me, as we're on city water.  I never had this issue when I had well and septic.  The cold water side had a small amount, but not enough to impede the flow of water.  I have a tankless water heater, so sediment at the bottom of a water heater tank isn't the issue.  The house is only 2.5 years old, so I don't know how I'm getting this much sediment.  And why only on the hot water side.  There is no construction going on and I'm not aware of any water main issues.  Looks like it's time for some type of whole-house water filter.

I usually have more problems with the cold water side. Are your lines connected correctly? not uncommon to have a sudden increase in sediment if there was some type of water line work done somewhere. Sometimes there can be sediment in the line and it doesn't move until there was a little air in the system. The air will dislodge it and send it to your screen.

• Like 1

If the problem still occurs , you may want to consider disconnecting the water level switch hose from in the console and blow through that. To make sure there is not an obstruction in the pressure line system. I think but am not totally 100% poditive but that model may also of had an issue with the air chamber for the water level switch getting blocked up. I think there is a service bulletin out on that . Hope this is helpful and your only problem will be that water inlet valve that you suspect. 

Some had a bulletin on flashing in the chamber that had to be removed 

I think this was one of them but not sure since I am not able to look up right now

I thought this bulletin HL07-17 was already in downloads but don't see it so I submitted it. Not sure if it is what your dealing with but maybe it will help.

ummmm, but we are in the DIY forum and they don't have access to the downloads anyway????

• Like 1

I didn’t notice it was DIY

i was just adding SB for future reference for techs

Edited by Lighthouse
Added info

Thanks @Lighthouse I was pretty sure that was the case but now the Grasshopper won't have to wonder why they can't find what you linked them to.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:55 AM, Lighthouse said:

I usually have more problems with the cold water side. Are your lines connected correctly? not uncommon to have a sudden increase in sediment if there was some type of water line work done somewhere. Sometimes there can be sediment in the line and it doesn't move until there was a little air in the system. The air will dislodge it and send it to your screen.

Hi lighthouse.  So it looks like the issue of the washer was narrowed  down to a dirty water inlet line ?   I am not a big fan of this Ge model  washer.   Any thoughts of your experience with these GE models. P

I did not care much for them at first. There are quite a few in my area. One of the government housing remodeled a year ago and this is what they installed. only warranty calls I had on them there were installation or operator error. They have held up very well there. I have worked on very few out of warranty. Most of the warranty calls have been updating something that has a service bulletin on it. I have also noticed that the ones that I have to update for the shaking are on tile or bare concrete floor. I don't remember doing any on a wood floor. I don't think they are the best out there but they are defiantly not the worse. 

What had to be updated  for a shaking issue Lighthouse ??  Replacing the main control with an updated board   Or something else ?

Update software using a SUM & replacing the feet. 

• Like 1

thanks Lighthouse much appreciated. I had no idea there was a bulletin out for some of these models.   I  would talk a little more on this particular service bulletin repair but I do realize keeping the DIY part of the site on the DIY question at hand and its not really for bogging it up with other talk that is not specifically pertaining to the question.   Keep up the awesome help man.  Congrats on the $100 gift card you won again.  Your drawer must be full of gift cards.:)  Talk soon again i'm sure  

See this post for a list of SB's for these models

Thanks

Update...everything is working normally now.  Clearing all that sand out of the hot water hose fixed the problem.  I have had so much trouble with all of my GE appliances that I just assumed this one also had a problem.  I've never had a sand issue at any other house I've owned, so I never even thought I might have a clogged hose.  Someone mentioned the hoses being reversed, but I always check to ensure they are not.  As I mentioned earlier, this house is 2.5 years old, on city water and it has a tankless water heater.  We've never lost water pressure and there is no construction going on, so no idea where all that sand is coming from.  I also found sand in the kitchen faucet screen and the showerhead.  Next is cleaning out the dishwasher water inlet.  Thanks to all who responded.  

16 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

no construction going on, so no idea where all that sand is coming from.  I also found sand in the kitchen faucet screen and the showerhead

City could have been doing work on a line you didn't know about. Could have been sand that was in line for quite some time & finally made its way to you.

Wouldn't the water level sensor have to be satisfied before the machine began running with an empty tub?

On 6/27/2018 at 6:23 AM, Lighthouse said:

City could have been doing work on a line you didn't know about. Could have been sand that was in line for quite some time & finally made its way to you.

Yes that’s so true lighthouse.  The water dept here will flush hydrants at times in different places.  A lot of times it can be a a couple of blocks away and you are not even aware . I went to a call one time where the washer had a no water error one time. Just as I was pulling off the main road and into the housing development , I noticed some of the house fronts on the street side had rust stains on the pavement in front of the homes. Right away before I even found the. House and number , I New exactly what the problem was and sure enough the valves were clogged with rust from so much iron in the water system of this development. A simple water line repair near by you don’t kmow about could cause this problem easily.

I have a call today that is on a community water system. Customer told me he saw them working on water line and now he has no ice. They do water line work often. Every time I get several no ice calls in the area. Water lines are frozen. I expect a few more in the next few days. Cha Ching!!!