LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool WTW5800BW0 Washer spin and agitate problem

JDS

My WTW5800BW0 washer has two problems.  During wash cycle the agitator rotates only a small amount.  During spin cycle the tub will begin accelerating, but then there is a whirring noise and the tub stops.  It then resets to rinse cycle.  I have already replaced the drive belt and the clutch assembly, but the problems still continue.  Any help will be appreciated.

1 hour ago, JDS said:

During wash cycle the agitator rotates only a small amount.

Take a pocket screw driver and pry the little cap off the center top of the wash plate. Under that cap is a bolt holding the wash plate to a steel spline. Make sure the bolt is tight and the wash plate is not stripped from the steel spline.

• Like 1

I checked the bolt and it was tight.  I removed the bolt and the wash plate.  The wash plate was not stripped from the steel spline.  I replaced the wash plate and the bolt.

Behind the front panel. Top left. There should be a little booklet. That little booklet will tell you how to retrieve the error codes.

You've either got to lift the  top to get to it, or look under the top and over the basket you may see it. With water in the tub or someone pushing the tub down you may be able to reach and get it.

That's your next mission.

Decipher the error codes. 

You can do it. 

I can see the booklet when I look over the rim of the basket.  To lift the top can I simply pop it up in the front using a putty knife, or do I have to remove screws in the back?

Remove the two screws at the back that are screwed right into the top. That and remove that little plate with the little hose and wires behind it. You'll see it. Then pull the top straight forward just a little, then up just a little, then straight back just a little, then lift up.

I was able to access the book by me pushing down on the tub and my wife reaching in and pulling it out.  I ran through the automatic tests and then through the manual tests for agitate and spin.  During the spin tests I got the same behavior that the machine displays during operation.  It looks like it wants to spin, but then there is a "whirrr" noise and slows down.  Since I have already replaced the drive belt and the clutch assembly, it seems like the only thing left to change is the shift actuator.  If I had known about these tests I think the shift actuator would have been the first thing I would have replaced.  Do you agree that replacing the shift actuator is the way to go?

Error codes?

Shift actuator is the most common problem.

Replace at your own risk. Then calibrate the machine. 

• Like 2

Yes, shifter should fix it.

Let us know how it goes. 

After the parts you already replaced, I would also agree that the Shifter should be replaced.

Get your eyes on the run capacitor, any bulging??  get yur tester out and check it......P/N w11158831.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...