Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

ICE FORMING UNDER DELI BOTTOM DRAWER IN A SAMSUNG RFG299AARS/XAA

ridgwel

I researched this ice build up and most feel that it's a plugged defrost drain tube in the fridge section.  I opened up that section and the drain tube is free of ice and water passes thru it with no problem, so I have eliminated that as the cause.  I have a feeling that my problem may be with the water supply......but I have not idea as to a fix.  Anybody having similar problems and what was your fix.  THANKS

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ridgwel

• 16345Ed

• Adirondack Bob

• Rhubarb Tau

Top Posters In This Topic

If that part cracked, wouldn't it leak to the floor as well?  Is there a test to confirm that is the problem or is it a "try and see" type repair.

Is this a part that DYI guy can do, or is this job left to the repairman.

If it were me , I'd want to take a look first before I ordered parts, unless you get free returns and would rather have the part on hand to only do the disassembly once (assuming the water tank is the problem).

If you open it up for inspection / testing , keep in mind that the dispenser will typically only function with the doors closed, so you'll need to fool the door reed switch with a magnet. Usually along the top edge 4-6" from the hinge. You'll know you've found it when the cabinet lights go out.

After the tank is exposed, with one door closed and a magnet over the other door switch , press the paddle and look for leaks around the tank and fittings.

Have also seen the Water Filter housing leak. 

And generic water filters will leak.

I agree, Rhubarb Tau, I will use your technique and see if I can see any water seepage.  Thanks for the tip!.

Adirondack Bob, that's a good idea to check that little critter.  Although, I have only used Samsung filters, but doesn't mean that there can't be something wrong.

18 hours ago, ridgwel said:

If that part cracked, wouldn't it leak to the floor as well?  Is there a test to confirm that is the problem or is it a "try and see" type repair.

Is this a part that DYI guy can do, or is this job left to the repairman.

Yes eye ball test...

Most refrigerators that have a chiller tank, the system is only pressurized  when water is called for...A  leak will only leak when ice  maker calls for water or at the " in door dispenser" is used.....Get yur eyes on the chiller and activate the "in door dispenser" and get some water, any small dripps???...

Also maybe check the damper(s) and thermistors for this section especially if you've had items in that drawer freeze before or it may feeze up tank again.