Clicky

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Yan

Need to replace fridge freezer thermostat

Yan

Hello guys, my freezer dont defrost. I need to use an hairdryer to melt the ice/snow when thing start to come soft. I've done the autodiagnostic and its read " O" for the defrost thermostat. I've looked for the part to change, but the only part available OEM ( part # WPW10292244 ) is a complete harness with the t-stat and other connector for a hefty  price. So it's why I'm here to ask for a replacement t-stat. It dont bother me if I need to cut wires and do some soldering. I just want to avoid to replace a complete harness and pay too much for it. Here the informations:

Refrigerator :Inglis ITB19440Q02

T-Stat ident ( whats written on the T-Stat)

FPS 39TVER31    40056

L42--30F    S15912E

126393-24

I have a pic of the thermostat, but I dont know how to attach it to the message here. If you can help me with a compatible replacement t-stat that will work with my fridge it would be greatly appreciated.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

16345Ed

I’d replace with original part harness and all

The key marking on your thermostat is L42--30F. Opens at 42 degrees and closes at 30 degrees. 

If your splice one in I use a Butt connector filled with good silicone to protect connections from moisture  

Budget Appliance Repair
Posted (edited)

@16345Ed Actually you're half correct - Opens at 42 degrees but closes at 12 degrees, (the number after dash is temp offset, open_temp-offset=close_temp).

I use the Frigidaire 297216600 Defrost T-Stat which is rated N42-21 as a replacement for many that are in this general spec range, (has a male and a female straight plug connectors that will work on the Frigidaire's that you use it on and you cut the wires and wirenut into harness for most others).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

16345Ed
Just now, Budget Appliance Repair said:

@16345Ed Actually you're half correct - Opens at 42 degrees but closes at 12 degrees, (the number after dash is temp offset).

I use the Frigidaire 297216600 Defrost T-Stat which is rated N42-21 as a replacement for many that are in this general spec range, (has a male and a female straight plug connectors that will work on the Frigidaire's that you use it on and you cut the wires and wirenut into harness for most others).

Yes, sorry forgot to do differential 

Yan
On 7/18/2018 at 8:06 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

@16345Ed Actually you're half correct - Opens at 42 degrees but closes at 12 degrees, (the number after dash is temp offset, open_temp-offset=close_temp).

Thanks all for the info. I was wondering what was the meaning of all those numbers. I found that W10165425 or WPW10165425 is often cited as a replacment. Do you know if the spec fit?

Budget Appliance Repair

None of the pictures I can find of that part so a good picture of the specs that are stamped into the black plastic and none of the parts listing show the specs so don't know if that one is the correct range or not.

I would have to see the actual part so I could read the specs off it to say for sure if it would work or not, (without doing a bunch of research and cross referencing).

LearningTech

W10165425 is an L60-32F and is too far off to be suitable

LearningTech

Ml45 is open 45 close 25 . Its close , but i would tryand find one closer. Or just get the original

Yan

Its very curious that everywhere I look for purchasing my original OEM thermostat they gave me W10165425 as a replacement for the 12639324.... and the spec are so far off L42-30F VS L60-32F. Which of this value is the most critical? The open temp ou the offset?  If I found a T-stat aroud 45-40 for the open value and something that goes around 20-30 of offset, do you think it will do the job without causing any damage at the evap?

thanks again

Yan

I think appliance manufacturers ( several models are absolutly the same exept for the desing and look ) are playing with us. I just found that another t-stat, the Whirlpool WP67003426 have absolutly the same spec as mine: L42-30F. Exactly the same physical look...but almost 10$ higher in price....changing parts number, for the exactly same part and differents prices. 😐 As you someone said here before, I m not able to find a picture of the w10165425 clear enough to see the spec on it..

Budget Appliance Repair
On 7/18/2018 at 5:06 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

This is what I would use to replace yours - it's one of the few defrost t-stat I stock and use it for most applications.

Yan

Thanks a lot for all your replies and hints.