Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Air condioner not working

brent

I went to use the air conditioner for the first time this year and came to find it did not want to work. It will blow air but not cold air. I want to take it apart and look around but not sure what i should look for or be careful about. Performance Plus was the only name I could find and the Model # is HABA-F0245A. I'm going to turn off the main power and take off the cover then wait for any advice

thanx

I just read in another thread about checking the furnace for dirty filter so i did and noticed my pilot light out. could this be related? The air from the fan was still circulating though.

Is there any way for me to check the freeon level?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude no amount of pilot light will make the air conditioner work,LOL! check the breaker to see if its thrown and I dont mean at the yankout  near the outside unit I mean at the main power box,wait is this a central unit or a window unit?

OK I just thought to myself that a window unit wouldnt have a pilot light! :( it may be that the wires going outside have been broken or the contactor aint pulling down to engage the power to the fan and compressor or bad contacts on same said contactor or it may be that the compacitor has swolen up and failed the unit ,this would stop the whole outside from coming on. so bad wires dog chewed, weed eater ,earthquake ,etc OR bad contactor, or Bad capacitor? ok? you did pay the electric bill?

My central air unit was exibiting similar symptoms. At first I suspected that the refrigerant was low. It seemed odd because the air was blowing mighty cold the night before and then the next morning it was blowing at ambient temperature. I went outside to look at the condenser. I could hear the compressor running but I noticed that the fan was not turning! WTF!? I undid the top of the compressor unit (after pulling the yank out, out) turned the fan by hand and it was snug to turn. 3 days and $150.00 later I had my new fan motor and voila, working A/C.

So, Brent, I suggest that you verify what's not working. You said that the unit will blow air in the house. That pretty much rules out what's inside. I'd start to look at your condenser unit and check it for proper operation. Do you hear the compressor? Do you hear anything coming from it? is the fan blowing? Try to break things down into simple areas to rule out. Be safe doing it. If you feel that you're in over your head, call an exalted ruler of appliance repair. Good luck!!:D

Archived