Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Oven and Broiler spark ignition not working

JohnF88

Hello,

I have an Amana agr5630bdb1 oven and for some reason the oven and broiler's spark ignition does not activate. The stove top burners ignite without any issues. The gas is on and the oven is only about 4 years old.  I ran a diagnostic on the display and it did not give me a code. I believe it read CLR which according to the manual was ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ultane

• LearningTech

• JohnF88

• Vance R

Your oven uses a DSI (dirrect spark ignition) board WPW10511278 to spark the oven, it will go into a safe mode if. It detectes error. Try reseting unit first.

If you know disagnostics you can try to manually activate bake or broil from the control.

If not functioning you need to see if the signal. From the main control is getting to  the DSI board if not bad board if it is then likely a bad dsi board or  other spark  issue.

the main board fails frequently on these models a software glitch that CAUSES THE UNIT TO FAIL AFTER ABOUT 2 -3 YEARS without further test i would guess main control

Thanks for the input. I was thinking it would be one of those parts I just wasn't sure which one. The main control board sounds right especially if this model is known to have issues with it. I might just cut my losses and upgrade to a more reliable brand. I really appreciate the help!!

Need to check the gas safety valve also, if either bake or broil circuit in gas valve is open neither will work - If I remember correctly you will get one or two clicks and it will then stop clicking and never light the burner.

10 hours ago, JohnF88 said:

a more reliable brand. I

If you want a new range fine, nothing wrong with that. But dont do it because of only this.

I have seen similar problems in most every brand.  Includeing a $12,000 thermador (2 boards, 1 dial 1 encoder in less than 5 years)

I would put amana as a fairly good brand. You will not get much different. Unless you go  electronic less, or some expenseive ones.

lg whirlpool, ge, samsung, frigidaire are all about  same quality or less.

american range, and some DCS (dynaminc cooking systems or fisher and paykel professional). No electronics whatsoever, should last 20 years or more.

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2018 at 10:14 PM, LearningTech said:

Your oven uses a DSI (dirrect spark ignition) board WPW10511278 to spark the oven, it will go into a safe mode if. It detectes error. Try reseting unit first.

If you know disagnostics you can try to manually activate bake or broil from the control.

If not functioning you need to see if the signal. From the main control is getting to  the DSI board if not bad board if it is then likely a bad dsi board or  other spark  issue.

the main board fails frequently on these models a software glitch that CAUSES THE UNIT TO FAIL AFTER ABOUT 2 -3 YEARS without further test i would guess main control

I’m having the same problem with my SO’s AMANA AGR5630BDB1. No error codes, at all. When trying to ignite the oven or broiler, I push bake (or broil), then start. The control board makes a couple of small clicks, and nothing ignites. I’ve already replaced the ‘DSI board’ in the upper right corner (looking at it from the rear. Also lightly sanded the spark igniters (some dude on YouTube recommended). I measured voltage going to the bake and the broil igniter and it was 50.8 VAC (measured to the chassis. The gas valve has ~213 ohms on one, and 214 ohms on the other, measured at the DSI board and at the valve itself(not 216 ohms). Oven temp sensor reads 1070 ohms. Latch switch starts at ~19 VDC, but ‘marches’ right down to 0.0 VDC, but while in the Diagnostics Test Mode, the Latch motor relay functions perfectly. 

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. 

6 hours ago, ultane said:

The control board makes a couple of small clicks, and nothing ignites.

Start by cleaning and tighting all burner tube grounds.

Thanks for your reply!

I found three green wires tightly attached to the silver metal back of the range/stove!

Are you saying that I should I remove them, and reattach them?

On 1/8/2021 at 10:44 PM, Vance R said:

Start by cleaning and tighting all burner tube grounds.

I’m not exactly sure what ‘burner tube grounds’ means. 🤔

See post above.. 

4 hours ago, ultane said:

I’m not exactly sure what ‘burner tube grounds’ means. 🤔

In this case the manufacturer is using the chassis as the rerutn path back to the spark module. The burner tubes should have a clean and tight connection to the chassis.