LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Neptune Washer MAH8700AWW E3 ERROR

Kevin Keaveney

Kevin Keaveney

Hello everyone, DIYer here who is usually pretty adept at figuring out what is wrong when something isn't working right but this has me kind of stumped. Over the past year and a half I've had to replace the drain pump and the water dispenser with good results, now onto the new problem. I've run a Quick Service Cycle as well as Board input and output tests and all have passed, I've also checked out all harness connections on the unit.As an example of what is going on, the last time I used it I put in 5 bath towels and started the cycle, door locks, water start to fill but as soon as the drum is starting to turn it becomes the little engine that couldn't, the drum starts to make it's clockwise rotation but only makes it about a 1/4 turn before it jerkily starts to slide back down, it does this a few times before the E3 error code is displayed. What  is confusing for me though is that if I remove 2 or 3 of the towels the drum turns without any jerking motion and completes the entire cycle without any hiccups, which is great but I don't really want to only wash 3 or 4 items at a time. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm not too keen on hitting the 24 hour laundromat anymore 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oservice

• Budget Appliance Repair

• LearningTech

• Kevin Keaveney

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2018 at 7:29 PM, Kevin Keaveney said:

Hello everyone, DIYer here who is usually pretty adept at figuring out what is wrong when something isn't working right but this has me kind of stumped. Over the past year and a half I've had to replace the drain pump and the water dispenser with good results, now onto the new problem. I've run a Quick Service Cycle as well as Board input and output tests and all have passed, I've also checked out all harness connections on the unit.As an example of what is going on, the last time I used it I put in 5 bath towels and started the cycle, door locks, water start to fill but as soon as the drum is starting to turn it becomes the little engine that couldn't, the drum starts to make it's clockwise rotation but only makes it about a 1/4 turn before it jerkily starts to slide back down, it does this a few times before the E3 error code is displayed. What  is confusing for me though is that if I remove 2 or 3 of the towels the drum turns without any jerking motion and completes the entire cycle without any hiccups, which is great but I don't really want to only wash 3 or 4 items at a time. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm not too keen on hitting the 24 hour laundromat anymore 

Any luck?

@Oservice  Not very likely that you will hear back from @Kevin Keaveney - you might want to take a look at the date of the last post when you're replying so as not to waste your time.

This was from August/October of 2018 - if you move your mouse pointer over the name you will also see that this person signed up in the forum, asked only this one question and hasn't been back since August 23, 2018 - they didn't even come back to read the answer that @LearningTech left for them.

1 hour ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

@Oservice  Not very likely that you will hear back from @Kevin Keaveney - you might want to take a look at the date of the last post when you're replying so as not to waste your time.

This was from August/October of 2018 - if you move your mouse pointer over the name you will also see that this person signed up in the forum, asked only this one question and hasn't been back since August 23, 2018 - they didn't even come back to read the answer that @LearningTech left for them.

Thanks for the info.  By the way, what are your thoughts on Maytag Neptune Washer MAH8700AWW E3 error code and how to diagnose and fix it?  I have the a customer visit scheduled for tomorrow for the very same error code on the  same model number washer.  Their washer runs for about a minute then just after the spin cycle it stops and gives that E3 error code while making a buzzing sound.  I'm thinking the drive motor is shot.

Edited by Oservice

@Oservice I'm not real familiar with that unit but I think I remember seeing that error being something to do with the MEMS sensor board, (vibration sensor or wiring).

Start a new topic and you will get more help then just tailing onto an existing one - especially when in DIY forum your tailing onto novices that may never come back and tell you what happened.

Do a search for the error code and MEMS and see what you come up with.