LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG DLG9588SM Gas Dryer- Intermittent Heat

Larbo

Hi, I have a 10 year old stacked washer/dryer combo from LG. I am no longer able to physically effect repairs myself but instead have an extended warranty policy.  I closely monitor and manage their repair activities as best I can to save both time and inconvenience. Lately, the dryer heat is working intermittently. The clothes in the dryer were always very warm when the cycle was done. That is no longer the case though I can hear the gas flame go on after a few seconds whenever I start a cycle.

I decided to try a power reset and unplug the dryer, followed by pressing the power button a few times.  I have done this twice and both times the dryer returned to normal behavior for about a week.

I had figured that this intermittent problem was probably caused by a thermocouple/connection issue or a control board/connection issue. With the confirmed power reset success I now think it is likely the control board. What do you think?? Thanks, Larry

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larbo

• john63

Top Posters In This Topic

Not likely.

LGs wiring/connectiins are stout...unlike many other brands...using micro-gauge wiring and/or ribbon connectors.

For your particular symptom...I would try to rule out a few things.

1. Are you empty nesters? Has someone moved out of the home recently?

If yes...it is likely that you're doing more smaller loads of laundry now. Not necessarily in every case.

2. Using a level bar...at the top of the dryer (depth not width)...is the dryer dead level or slightly raised in the front?

If yes...

It will be necessary to raise the rear feet/legs of the stacked dryer...about 3/4 inch.

This will force small loads of laundy towards the front of the dryer drum...which is where the Moisture Sensor is located.

If clothing tumbles at the center or rear of the drum...the Main Board will not receive signal feedback from the sensor.

Begins terminating the cycle at an accelerated rate.

The last 6 minutes of the cycle is always...Cool-Down No Heat...to reduce wrinkles prior to ending the cycle.

There can be other causes...but this is the *first* item to rule out.

Hi John, thanks for the thoughful reply.

1. First on my logic list is a change of situation and nothing has changed in our usage patterns ... and not empty nesters (yet)!

2. The front is about 1/8" above level. But, then again, that hasn't changed. Our loads do not tend to be small.

3. The clothes had always been very warm at the end of a cycle and are now practically room temp with the perforated heat grill on the back of the tub only having the slightest hint of warmth.  Even mid-cycle when we pull some damp clothing out to let air dry (to prevent wrinkles), the clothes are now often barely warm, whereas, they were always very warm before the problem started.

4. We almost always use the Normal cycle.  Maybe it is the Moisture sensor having lost sensitivity? If you think it may be that, is there any way to test that sensor?

5. Don't you find it odd that both times  I performed the power reset, it worked perfectly for the following week?

Thanks, Larry

6 minutes ago, Larbo said:

4. We almost always use the Normal cycle.  Maybe it is the Moisture sensor having lost sensitivity? If you think it may be that, is there any way to test that sensor?

5. Don't you find it odd that both times  I performed the power reset, it worked perfectly for the following week?

4. No. Moisture Sensors do not degrade or become weakened/less effective.

5. Not at all...coincidences are common.

Several other possibles...

1. Failing relay on main board (intermittent).

2. Failing Flame Sensor (intermittent)

3. Failing Gas Valve Assy (intermittent)

4. Weak burner Igniter (intermittent)

5. Exhaust venting (in wall/ceiling of home)...40 to 60 percent blocked/restricted

6. Waxy residue on Lint Filter...restricting airflow...excessive gas burner cycling.

7. Laundry room is tiny...and someone is closing the non-vented door...when the dryer is running...causing air starvation...excessive gas burner cycling.

8. Door gasket (rubber) fell off.