LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Refrigerator compressor overload and start relay

perpetual motor

perpetual motor

Hello, I have a Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator, model 106.51212100. The model specific compressor overload and start relay for the Coldspot is 8201786. However, unknowingly I installed an aftermarket part compatible with part # 61005518 (Snap Supply Relay & Overload for Whirlpool Directly Replaces 61005518). I could not obtain any technical specifications on the parts neither from Sears Parts Direct nor Snap Supply in order to compare the parts 8201786 and 61005518.

The refrigerator has been cooling, and the freezer has been freezing for about 89 hours (3+ days). The refrigerator and freezer were at about 75°F at the beginning of this 89-hour period. My question is if part 61005518 is left in the refrigerator instead of the model specific 8201786, does that cause any problems in the future? Also, has it already caused problems, even though both the refrigerator and the freezer are doing their jobs? I am trying to decide if I should swap 61005518 with 8201786, so long as it is not too late.

I look forward to receiving any help on this. Thank you so much!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• perpetual motor

• Koi Guy

• Elgato58

• certified tech group 51

perpetual motor
49 minutes ago, Koi Guy said:

No problem, you're good. 

Hi, thank you for your response!

How can you tell that the two parts (8201786 and 61005518) are interchangeable? Were you able to access the technical specifications for the parts?

The 61005518 is a relay and overload, the 8201786 is simply a relay and overload combo. While there are some technical differences, there is no distiguisable differences and both will work. Been doing this 11 years and have put on virtually more than a hundred over the years, plus have had many techs over the years with a combined total over several hundred. I actually buy the less expensive relay/overload combo's, as well as simply the relays, depending on the termial size.  You're good. 

perpetual motor

Thanks again!

Before posting here, I tried searching the web for information, such as the max amp limit for the overloads, in order to compare but failed to find any. Could you tell me where you found the technical specifications?

Also, in any overload and relay unit, what is the most important specification in terms of the unit's effect on the compressor or any other component of the refrigerator—is it the max amp limit of the overload?

WHY COULDNT YOU USE 3N1 HARD START I USE THAT ALL THE TIME EXCEPT ON REF WITH CONTROL BOARD

perpetual motor

What happened was I wanted to use the model specific part. So, I searched amazon for 8201786. One of the amazon results was Snap Supply Relay & Overload for Whirlpool Directly Replaces 61005518. After installing and turning on the refrigerator, I checked the product page for an explicit reference for 8201786 but did not find it. Until then, I was under the assumption that I had the right part. When I could not find specifications on 8201786  and 61005518 for comparison, I thought I would ask here.

I do not know about using Amazon as a source for appliance information, I use Amazon to compare part prices is about all ............If you look at the thermal / overload device, you will see it is a Klixon 4tm series comp. controller...Get your klixon data chart out and compare the operating temperature between the two different kits...Most start relays are  the P.T.C. variety .. sized by B.T.U.H. output....Next time purchase the P/N  8201786, you get extra parts......Your parts supplier,  RepairClinic,  Appliance Parts Pros are your friends.....                To elgato58, a 3n1 is used only as a last resort...I.E. "no parts available"...A good compressors start winds could get damaged by the " Hard start" part... (start capacitor)........

perpetual motor

Hi certified tech group 51, I am not sure where to get the Klixon data. I was never able to get specifications to compare the two parts. Do you know where I can get this information?

Based on your knowledge and experience, should I just leave the part 61005518 in there at this point? It has been 12+ days since the replacement was performed, and both the fridge and freezer seem to be doing their jobs.

• 2 weeks later...
perpetual motor

Koi Guy,  as of now, the Snap Supply Relay & Overload for Whirlpool Directly Replaces 61005518 is still in the refrigerator. The machine is still freezing and cooling. To my knowledge, there are no problems at present. Thank you for your help!

2 hours ago, perpetual motor said:

Koi Guy,  as of now, the Snap Supply Relay & Overload for Whirlpool Directly Replaces 61005518 is still in the refrigerator. The machine is still freezing and cooling. To my knowledge, there are no problems at present. Thank you for your help!

My pleasure! I wouldn't expect any issues as they are equivalent parts. Enjoy the cold!

• 9 months later...
perpetual motor

Dear all:

We are 10 months into the repair. The fridge is working just as good a before the breakdown. Thank you for your help!