LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kitchenaid Ice Maker Problem

barrybum

I have the exact (and I mean exact) same problem as described in the last post in this thread - https://appliantology.org/topic/53118-whirlpool-icemaker-gi15nflts2-service-manual/.  Kitchenaid KUIS15NRTSO.  Basically, not enough water is being dispensed into the reservoir to make ice.  Already replaced water level sensor.  Diagnostics show that it can tell an empty reservoir from a full one.  Water dispenser runs for 35 seconds, but doesn't come close to filling the tank.  The water dispensing solenoid needs to stay on much longer.  Seems like the controller is shutting it off too soon.  The ice maker behaves the same with the water level sensor unplugged.  The ice maker make ices and drops it onto the cutting grid without a problem if you manually fill the reservoir.  Next stop - replacing the controller board??  Thoughts?  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.  

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• barrybum

• 16345Ed

Fine to the house.  I would described the flow out of the water fill tube as significantly more than a trickle, but it is not gushing out of the tube.  I would guess that less than 8 oz. is dispensed in the 30 seconds the water is dispensed.  This is certainly something that I could check.  No obstructions in the fill tube portion in the ice maker.  It is certainly in the realm of possibility that there is some obstruction in the line around the solenoid - I haven't checked.  The ice maker has been running continuously in a house for 8 years (i.e., not in a hot garage).  We are on city water with not much minerals.  

Having said all of that - one would think the purpose of a water fill sensor is to compensate for variable fill rates, but I am hardly experienced in this area . . .

I’ve seen saddle valves (where supply line for refrigerator is tapped into water line) clog and reduce water pressure. 

Turn off water supply, Unhook water line at back of refrigerator and put it in a bucket, turn on water supply and observe water pressure. 

Thanks for the response.  It turns out that the problem lay with the solenoid/water valve (part no. W10217917).  The solenoid has some type of circuit board attached and is labeled as being a "smart valve."  I saw some description somewhere that it has a flow meter in it, and that the controller tells the valve the amount of water it wants and the valve itself decides when it has delivered the amount communicated to it.  The flow out of the water dispenser in the machine is much greater now, so maybe there was just some type of obstruction in the old valve as you suggest.  Why this machine has such a sophisticated valve AND a water level sensor in the reservoir is beyond me.

At any rate, I'm back in the ice business.