Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE chest freezer FCM5DMCWH not freezing

qkcam

HI 

my old GE chest freezer fcm5dmcwh is losing it's cool.  there was some ice built up on the sides and front for a while.  I know nothing about these.  have been reading online, one suggestion was to bypass the thermostat and see if it works then.   I have some health challenges...is there an easy way to bypass the thermostat?  i have some wire i can use, but no clamps.      

what else might i check on this unit?  i tried to find schematic to see where the coils are located , to hopefully clean them. but i haven't found any schematics.  any help is appreciate. thank you  ?

Real simple unit. 

Need to determine if compressor is running. If it is and it’s not cold its time for a new unit. 

If if it’s not running you need to see if it’s getting voltage.

If it’s getting voltage then might just be your start device on the side of the compressor. 

If no voltage at compressor it’s likely your thermostat (cold control).

Edited by 16345Ed
  • Like 1

thank you 16345Ed,

I was able to jump and not use the thermostat..it seems to be getting cold . I will check it in the morning and see if the water bottle is frozen. is that a good test?    if it is    would that be safe to assume thermostat? 

If not then i can get a multi-meter from the tool lending library on tuesday to do the trouble shooting you mentioned. 

thanks

8 hours ago, qkcam said:

thank you 16345Ed,

I was able to jump and not use the thermostat..it seems to be getting cold . I will check it in the morning and see if the water bottle is frozen. is that a good test?    if it is    would that be safe to assume thermostat? 

If not then i can get a multi-meter from the tool lending library on tuesday to do the trouble shooting you mentioned. 

thanks

Sounds like it’s your thermostat...

thanks.   I hope i can find a replacement.  I hear it isn't good to run it with out the thermostat for very long.. I ran it all nite ..got nice and cold, trying to save the food.   and turned it off.  while i look for a thermostat.     any idea how long / safe it is to run without the thermostat? 

thanks again! 

that thermostat is not easy to find.. only one i see is on Ebay at $65!   is it possible to replace it with a different model? i called the parts stores and they dont have any other part to cross reference.  but wondering how might i find another thermostat to use?  

thank you !

8 hours ago, qkcam said:

that thermostat is not easy to find.. only one i see is on Ebay at $65!   is it possible to replace it with a different model? i called the parts stores and they dont have any other part to cross reference.  but wondering how might i find another thermostat to use?  

thank you !

Buy original part. 

Dont keep running it hard wired. It needs to shut down once in a while. 

So you can’t afford original part but you can afford the electric to run it more than you should. I see no logic. 

I can’t recommend any modifications from original equipment. 

the thermostat i need is on the way.   in the meantime I am using this appliance timer.   I wasn't sure how long the it  was/ is supposed to run so i have it on 6 hour cycles    6 hours on  6 hours off for the 24 hour period.    will this be good?   thanks

32 minutes ago, qkcam said:

the thermostat i need is on the way.   in the meantime I am using this appliance timer.   I wasn't sure how long the it  was/ is supposed to run so i have it on 6 hour cycles    6 hours on  6 hours off for the 24 hour period.    will this be good?   thanks

Run it for 15/15 or 30/30  mins 

6hrs on and 6hrs off is too long , you will get big temp fluctuations 

• Like 1

unfortunately the timer i have doesn't have those options.    

I only use this freezer as an extra for some veggies, fruit and a few tv dinners, so i dont open it very much.  Not sure if that helps keep the temp more stable the fact I only open it a few times a week? 

here is the style of timer  I have. 

https://www.amazon.com/TORK-SA011-Heavy-Appliance-Timer/dp/B000DZC226

Either

buy a new timer 

a new thermosat

a new freezer 

how old is it ?

by the sounds of it you don’t have much in it ,do you need it ?

I bought a thermostat which is what it needs. I am just waiting for it to arrive.    just learning what i can do in the meantime.  thanks 

Ok i have the new thermostat  and trying to take the old one out.. it is sealed in with caulking- managed to get the caulking off, but there is a big black "washer/ seal" type thing.. i have tried pulling and pulling on the thermostat probe but can' t get it to come out.   do i need to destroy the black seal that seems to be holding it in  ?  thank you

good idea.. i just tried pushing it through and it doesn't want to go forward or backward..i wonder if it is glued in with something?  

In the meantime i am trying swapping the probes from the old (since it wont come out or go forward) I attached it to the new thermostat.    I put it on the highest setting so i should know soon if  it will at least trigger the compressor on.    so far nothing

question:  could the probe be frozen, causing the sticking?       perhaps if i defrost the machine that would help?    

what about using wd40 to help lubricate anything that may be corroded? or is there a better choice of lubricant? 

thank you!

I would try lube but I’ve heard where techs have drilled a new hole next to old probe and Inserted new probe in new hole. Of course then seal with permagum. 

• Like 1

If you have had the freezer running while waiting for the new t-stat then definitely let it thaw out for a day or two, to make sure the cap tube isn't frozen in the probe tube.

I can remember having that problem on the only chest freezer that I can remember having to change the t-stat on.

Took lots of work and ended up breaking the tube off the old t-stat to wrap around something and work it in and out with WD-40, it took lots of work but if I remember correctly I was eventually successful - don't remember how much time it took.

• Like 1

thank you .  I will  let it defrost all the way and see how it goes,  great options folks!  i appreciate the ideas and encouragement! 

I had taken the probe off the new t-stat and attached new t-stat to old probe (since it was stuck inside)   .. but last nite i decided to disconnect it and put the new probe back on the new t-stat like it came and give the defrosting a chance to see if it made a difference.

i couldn't get the probe attached back to the t-stat ..  not sure what the secret is?  does the dial need to be  in a certain place?   i am looking for some videos to educate me on putting the t stat back together- it seems simple as there dont seem to be alot of components. just smallish.

thanks

25 minutes ago, qkcam said:

thank you .  I will  let it defrost all the way and see how it goes,  great options folks!  i appreciate the ideas and encouragement! 

I had taken the probe off the new t-stat and attached new t-stat to old probe (since it was stuck inside)   .. but last nite i decided to disconnect it and put the new probe back on the new t-stat like it came and give the defrosting a chance to see if it made a difference.

i couldn't get the probe attached back to the t-stat ..  not sure what the secret is?  does the dial need to be  in a certain place?   i am looking for some videos to educate me on putting the t stat back together- it seems simple as there dont seem to be alot of components. just smallish.

thanks

Never dismantle thermostats 

so defrosting was the trick to getting the old probe out.  it came out like a knife through butter once all defrosted.. wish I would have know that before. 

now i have the old bad t stat  i will slowly dismantle to see if i can figure out how to put the new one back together..   if not I have a replacement on the way for $12.    

can't believe i was trying to pull that sucker through while it was frozen inside!!!  I think that was the most important lesson in this whole experiment!

Cold Control/Refrig t-stats are not something you want to try to take apart and fix bad points or other problems.

You will never get them back together correctly and even if you do by some chance get it all back together correctly you have most likely totally wiped out the calibration.

• Like 1