LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kenmore 253.22042410 Upright Freezer Not Cold At All!

Saralyn

I have the above listed Kenmore freezer that isn’t cooling. It was gifted to us so there’s no warranty available. We changed the evaporator fan motor but it isn’t turning at all. I also notice that the evaporator isn’t cold or frosty at all. I also can’t hear or feel the compressor running. Open the door and hold down the door switch and the evap fan doesn't run either. Warm enough to where it should run, hasn't run at all. Interior light turns on, green power light on the front is on. No hum, no buzz, no nada. Went & got a multi meter and used YouTube vids to test the compressor ohms (all good). Even tried manually spinning the defrost timer with no change. What’s next? Where would you start troubleshooting? How do I get the freezer into diagnostic mode to check the fan, etc? I can’t seem to find a service manual online at all.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 16345Ed

• Saralyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be bad start relay, or bad cold control(thermostat). 

If power is found at compressor, bad start relay. 

If no power at compressor, bad cold control. 

Is the thermostat what is connecting around the evaporator coils? It’s good from what I can tell, no expansion popping the cap off and it has connectivity according to the multi meter and the YouTube vid I used.

How do I check the voltage to the compressor?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 5:46 PM, 16345Ed said:

If no power at compressor, bad cold control. 

Yep, that was one of the possibilities...

Good job!