Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

removing old thermostat probe on GE chest freezer FCM5DMCWH

qkcam

I found a thermostat that will work in my freezer..yay!   it was $17 bucks.   

Ok i have the new thermostat  and trying to take the old one out.. it is sealed in with caulking- managed to get the caulking off, but there is a big black "washer/ seal" type thing.. i have tried pulling and pulling on the thermostat probe but can' t get it to come out.   do i need to destroy the black seal that seems to be holding it in  ?  thank you

I removed some of the black seal and i can see the white tube that the thermostat probe goes into. I can not get that sucker to come out.  I have been pulling as much as possible and it wont budge, even wiggling the thing back and forth does nothing.     hope someone knows a trick for this .. thanks

You typically need to destroy nothing. Try putting lube on white tube to make it come through , and make sure it is strait

Thank you Learning Tech

I let the freezer defrost and after that the old probe came right out!   i had no idea it needed to defrost.  

I tried attaching the new thermostat to the old probe (before i deforsted the unit) that didnt seem to work.    so i went to reattache the new probe back to the new t stat  and the new tstat fell apart.   using the old one as an example i think i finally got the new one put back together the right way.  time will tell. 

thanks for the help!  

got the new t stat installed .   I put a couple little water bottles inside to make sure they freeze.   they did freeze but it seems like the motor  is always on  now.  I am wondering if the new (used s stat ) has an issue.  I have 30 days to return it.     I even turned the freezer down to the lowest setting and when i went back to check later the motor was running.

what am i missing here? 

thanks!~

Is it zero degrees in the freezer?

either you broke thermostat taking it apart, it was bad initially or you have a sealed system problem. 

So you didn't purchase a NEW t-stat.    It was a used one that you purchased?  Not a good item to purchase used, (no idea what kind of condition the points are in or if calibration if off).

I have been running the freezer near the lowest setting and the thermometer reads   a range of -9 to 19F   and the motor is not running continually, like before.   where should the temp be for this?   

this thermostat yes was / is used it has a 30day return..  maybe i should just return it.   

are the temp ranges in the ball park?  should i try to set the thermostat to a colder temp and see what happens? 

thanks

43 minutes ago, qkcam said:

thanks  16345Ed  is the temp supposed to fluctuate much at that point? 

Only if it’s auto defrost. 

no it isn't auto defrost.  I just checked again and am getting about a 14 degree swing.. could this be because i haven't yet sealed up the thermostat tube hole with silicon?  

also will it effect the food as long as it stays frozen?  thanks. 

What’s the +&- temps you are getting ?

Is it loaded or empty ? As this will affect it 

a mechanical thermostat will have a bigger swing in temps and for the deep freeze you are concerned about your average temps 

Edited by J5*
  • Like 1

thanks 5*   the temps range yesterday was 8 down to -14.  the freezer is empty now except for 2 small water bottles and a container of baking soda. 

so it sounds like this is working ok and I can resume use of freezer  with no need to return the $12 used t stat?