LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Fridge issue, while freezer is fine

jigsaw

Jigsaw,

Did you ever let all the ice melt off the coils?  Or take it off with a hairdryer or steamer so they weren't covered at the bottom like in your first photo here: https://postimg.cc/9r3TvnxV

Compare that photo to the one in this post:

GE refrigerator freezer section back wall keeps frosting over every few days to a couple of weeks and everything in the fridge starts warming up...

GE refrigerator freezer section back wall keeps frosting over every few days to a couple of weeks and everything in the fridge starts warming up…

Wouldn't let me finish the post.  Here it is:

Jigsaw,

Did you ever let all the ice melt off the coils?  Or take it off with a hairdryer or steamer so they weren't covered at the bottom like in your first photo here: https://postimg.cc/9r3TvnxV

GE refrigerator freezer section back wall keeps frosting over every few days to a couple of weeks and everything in the fridge starts warming up...

Don't they look exactly alike?  That looks like defrost troubles to me.  Now before you go off and buy anything, test it.  The first test you may have already done.  If you melted the ice off the coils and now it works fine, that would lean you toward thinking the coils aren't being defrosted correctly.  Second test is visual which means see if those pictures look exactly alike.  Third test is to start up the defroster and see if it gets hot.  If you have the tech sheet for this, it should tell you how to enter the diagnostic mode and manually enter the defrost cycle.  Fourth test is just to look at the defroster itself and see if it looks damaged.

Now if you still think you have a freon leak or obstruction, which I don't but I have been wrong enough times to qualify as ignorant, have a look at these:

How to troubleshoot warm refrigerator problems by reading the evaporator frost pattern

Does Your Refrigerator have a Freon Leak?

Now if we are still thinking it is a defrost issue, the most likely culprit is the heater itself.  If the visual check doesn't show that, then we actually want to manually kick in the defrost cycle.  It's a pain on these computer-controlled adaptive defrost systems because there are so many different ways to do it.  Look on your tech sheet.  If it doesn't tell you, try these:

How to Manually Initiate the Defrost Cycle in a GE Arctica Side-by-Side Refrigerator

The Samurai Test for the Defrost Circuit in a GE Refrigerator with a Muthaboard... and the Quick Fix

How to Test the Defrost System in a GE Arctica or Profile Refrigerator

10 hours ago, Tim M said:

Jigsaw,

GE refrigerator freezer section back wall keeps frosting over every few days to a couple of weeks and everything in the fridge starts warming up…

Yes, I unplugged it for a few hours after emptying the freezer section and then waited and used heat gun to melt all ice from the bottom coils as well as other places.

@Tim M I truly appreciate your wisdom and help. I agree with your statement of maybe an issue with defrost heater. Because drain hole was all frozen up too — other day when I left it unplugged and used heat gun there, to open it too.

My question is, I can test it out by checking continuity on it or can it fail randomly and work other times? I thought it's like a bulb, either it works or it doesn't?

Using this video:

I tested the resistance and getting a value between 40-41 ohms, which indicates that defrost element is good so far, right?

On 11/4/2018 at 1:27 AM, J5* said:

The pics say it all 

Exactly !    not sure why you are even messing with the heater tube.  There's a sealed system problem with your fridge.  Time to uthenize it.