LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag MHW5500FW noise

patical

Hi guys and gals

I have a washer that is about 4 mths old. Just noticed clanging noise. I have the pump clean out pulled out, and found a penny.   I also pulled the heater element out and don't see anything in the outer drum that drains to the pump strainer. Looks dry with no debris, or objects. When I turn the drum by hand I hear water and a clanking noise when turning drum at times.

Where is the water that is making the noise, and where might the object be. I don't see any object caught between the front drum or rubber boot. I was hoping cleaning the pump strainer, and pulling the element would make it apparent. But no dice. 

Thanks for any thoughts or tips Pat

Some now days are designed with ball bearings in the tub opening that can moves around the opening to balance the machine. Could be that. 

Check the motor/rotor on the back and make sure its tight, and has not play

Cement block bolted on top and bottom. Should be tight also.

shipping bolts removed from back?

Yes shipping bolts were one of the first things I removed when installing. In fact the power cord was wire tied to one of the shipping hold down bolts. Still had to fight to get the cord out of the hole. I thought I was going to bugger up the prongs on the plug I had to pull it out so hard.  

Funny you should mention a ball bearing balancer, I was thinking maybe the noise was something connected that was part of the washer balance system.  I had my hand on the cement balance weight earlier, I just went and pushed it around,  and it's tight. The pancake motor on the back is tight as well.

Maybe the noise that I heard was the penny, and it worked itself down into the pump strainer.  Maybe that was the noise that was ratteling. I did not listen to the washer finishing off the whole cycle.   I drained the water out of the tub pulling the strainer out, it is the low point in the system. I also checked the outlet to the pump w/hose off it. Could feel the pump vanes and no obstruction was noted.

Since I see no objects in the outer drum, and see the drain hole to the pump when I pulled the heating element out of the way. I assume that any foreign object would be at the bottom of the drum. What puzzles me is why turning the drum by hand I hear a water churning sound. Maybe it is something to do with the balance system as well? 

I think tomorrow after work  I'll run an empty cycle to see if the noise is still there. Or maybe run a few towels.  Thanks for your thoughts Learning Tech

When you post , you should have the full and complete model # along with the Full and complete serial # of the machine.  You cannot be helped properly without that information. From what I am understanding . I believe you had said this machine was 4 months old. Your under warranty if its 4 months old.  Before you keep going into this machine any further. Be careful about how far you get into this machine.   Call the manufacturer  and get someone out to look at it through the warranty.  If you mess with it to much and it shows signs that you or someone else has tampered with the machine ahead of time.  You make it to easy for the warranty company and the servicer who walks in your door, to be able to void your warranty and not honor the contract.  Hence now the repair is on you.  

Darren412 you make a valid point. In fact I was thinking it is time to have somebody look at it. Because it is possible it is a warranty item. Last time I used it, it was fine. Then my sister used it without my permission, and now after she used it I noticed the problem doing a load myself. I figured it would be something caused from a foreign object. But seems to be getting more complicated, because I can't see what is making the noise.

The only thing I did was remove back cover, remove strainer from pump, pull out heater element. I also pulled pump outlet hose to make sure everything was clear.  Thanks Pat

The model:  MHW5500FW1 Ser #: C81350715

I just bought a bore scope. I'm going to look around to make sure everything is clear that I can see. Then I'm going to button up the pump strainer, put the heating element back in, then run the machine again. I was assuming the sound I hear when turning the drum by hand was related to the noise I heard while running a load.  It is probably the bearing balance system?

I found a penny in the strainer, maybe that was the noise I heard, and it finally made it out of the drum. If I still hear a noise while the machine is running I'll call for warranty repair.  Otherwise I at least learned from LearningTech that this bearing balance system exists........

On 11/4/2018 at 7:40 PM, LearningTech said:

Some now days are designed with ball bearings in the tub opening that can moves around the opening to balance the machine. Could be that. 

Check the motor/rotor on the back and make sure its tight, and has not play

This is most likely the issue meaning nothing wrong. I know that Samsung uses ball bearings in their front loader tubs. Take the top panel off and watch it spin. Does it make the noise when it’s at high spin? Try it empty and with clothes in it. Maybe it’s hitting something inside the cabinet. Most companies are not going to split the outer tub to see if something is caught. If they do it would be a big charge. Warranty won’t cover it. 

Ian B

The noise that I heard was surely something bouncing around, or something making contact. The question is was it the penny I found in the strainer? If that is the case it worked itself out of the outer drum. Hence me finding the coin in the strainer.

I'll run it empty, and with some clothes, and see what happens on the weekend.  I'll poke around with my new probe as well, just to try it out before I run the washer.  I'm hoping this is not a some big problem, but I'm thinking not. I'll post back what I find. Thanks

There are balls in the balance ring on this washer.  If you turn the drum they will re position themselves and it can be heard.  I would not worry to much about the noise unless your getting error codes or poor washing performance for some reason.   This unit is too new for you too be opening up all sorts of things. More will be revealed with a new machine such as yours .  A sudden recall or service bulletin for example .     Models:  MHW5500FW0   in serial range C540XXXXX   through   C636XXXXX      fall into Service Bulletin  W10913408  talks about unbalance issues etc.    Nothing to do with your apparent problem .  I don't think you posted a serial number but I could have missed that.   You probably wont fall under this bulletin since its only 4 months old,  but without me seeing your serial number in the post . you cant tell.      You can also take off the tub to pump hose then put a bright drop light into the stainless steel tub area and it will shine the light through the stainless tub and you can then look at the underside of the tub and see if you see the shadow of an object maybe lying in the bottom of the outer tub.  If there is something , you can fish it out through the hole in the bottom of the outer tub wher the tub to pump hose gets connected to the outer tub at the bottom.   a wire coat hanger comes in handy fishing out stuff that gets stuck in between the outer and inner tub through that tub to pump hose hole.  Just something to think about. If you don't see anything ?  your washer is most likely fine and your only hearing the balls in the balance ring.  Good Luck   :kopkrab:

darren412

Ser #: C81350715  I posted this above , looks like I'm out of range.......like you said too new

I'm thinking the penny I found in the strainer was the noise. I'll check how it runs when I button it up. Like I mentioned I pulled the heater element out, and did not see any other items. But I'm going to peek around with my new scope to practice. I'll report back. Hopefully the penny was the item making the  noise. Pat

Buttoned up the washer and ran it. Everything seems OK. Not sure, but the penny sure made a racket when it was banging around before.

I just wish I did not have to remove the rear panel after pulling the washer out of position just to clean the strainer.  I have had a couple of other branded front loaders that had a small panel in the front for strainer access.  I might after warranty has passed make a smaller removable access panel in the big rear panel .......

I appreciate all the info/advise on this washer.  Thanks Pat

On 11/11/2018 at 8:35 PM, patical said:

Buttoned up the washer and ran it. Everything seems OK. Not sure, but the penny sure made a racket when it was banging around before.

I just wish I did not have to remove the rear panel after pulling the washer out of position just to clean the strainer.  I have had a couple of other branded front loaders that had a small panel in the front for strainer access.  I might after warranty has passed make a smaller removable access panel in the big rear panel .......

I appreciate all the info/advise on this washer.  Thanks Pat

Haveing the cleanout there makes it so they dont have to have a rubber hose to connect tub and point, one less part to fail/ get a leak. It’s preferable as long as you dont leave coins in your pocket :)

I can see they did not design the pump for easy access. If they did I would be able to access it easier. In fact it is closer to the front of the washer, than the rear.

On 11/11/2018 at 7:35 PM, patical said:

I just wish I did not have to remove the rear panel after pulling the washer out of position just to clean the strainer.

Our Whirlpool trainer this year claimed that they got rid of the front cleanout door because customers wanted clean visual lines on the front panel. I smell BS.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 9:40 PM, Rhubarb Tau said:

Our Whirlpool trainer this year claimed that they got rid of the front cleanout door because customers wanted clean visual lines on the front panel. I smell BS.

its not customers its the marketers who believe the customers waht smooth lines,