Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Thermador KBUDT4270A02 fan noise

Fritz

not squealing or ticking.  more like the sound of something off balance.  a low rumble that is heard with the door open or closed.  Not loud but audible.

Freezer side.  Is this more likely a dirty blade or dirty bearings in the motor? 

Freezer is working OK.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fritz

• darren412

• 16345Ed

• Clross81

Not enough information here. to go by .  Is the Fresh food section warming up  and not cooling ?   is the fan noise the only concern you have  that your noticing out of the normal operating condition of the refrigerator.  You also have a condensor fan in the machine compartment in the back of the refrigerator also.  I see you mentioned the freezer door but sometimes the condensor fan can send a false noise through the cabinet and you think its the evaporator fan.   you need to check both fans if your having cooling issues.  along with alot of other things to check if your having cooling issues in either or both compartments.   If its cooling alright . in both compartments , there needs to be a standing issue with the fridge to get a better idea of pin pointing the issue and what direction to go to. 

fridge and freezer sides are keeping things at proper temps.

it does sweat a bit in the worst of the summer (no AC), but I know the gaskets need replacment too.

it's just the fan or motor in the back of the freezer section I hear that's noisy.

now the freezer is losing temp.  Set for 0º it is at 32º.  Though the motor is failing, might this point to other issues?  If so, what?

The drain pan wasn't particularly high this am, although in summer it is.
I hear clicking.
Posts refer to the Capacitor (AP6023677) or start device (AP6007299).
I see the Capacitor on the parts drawing, but not the start device.
Does the Thermador KBUDT4270A02 has a start device or only the capacitor?
Might this point to a bigger failure or likely only, motor, capacitor and gaskets?

send a picture of the evaporator coils if you can.  It sounds as though you have a sealed system issue.  Though there is not a lot to go by from you descriptions.  what's the temperature of your condenser coil ?

unfortunately, they are not easily accessible in this beast.

After talking to a few local parts suppliers, I went with the start device Start Device - WP2319792 - https://goo.gl/iefmi9.

No one had it in stock locally, hopefully tmrw in the mail.

The part has been chattering away.  Then if that isn't it, compressor.  Hope the starting device fixes the issue.

so far, the start device seems to be doing the trick.  temp has dropped 10º F in 4 hours.

though I think that I may still have to replace the evap motor as well and what might have tired the start device.

fritz  , you came to appliantology.org for assistance but your all over the place here and other places ??  you went to a parts place and now your replacing the start device ??  Its not making any sense according to the symptoms you gave earlier.  still waiting on a picture of the evaporator coil when you said the temps were holding  and the freezer was fine ??.    you need to get grounded and have an educated plan of attack for issues such as the one your having.  If you don't have a membership currently with appliantology .org , I highly suggest you get one and do some basic schooling to start ok. There is so much knowledge here to be learned that would get you through a simple problem like the one you are experiencing now .  Videos, downloads etc......        

• 3 weeks later...

Turned fridge back on and observed evap motor which seemed to not be having any issues.
Dunno what part is caked in ice.
Am I looking at a service call, or can I still get in?

46127760292_876440e26d.jpg

46127760962_ee50b26c2b.jpg

missed some of what I typed for some reason.

got a evap fan motor.  Opened up the back panel to see the block of ice above around the bi-metl.

I have not installed the evap fan motor, but I still hear a bit of intermittent motor "binding",

Melted that.  Put the panel back on and restarted the fridge.

It's down 18º from 60º in the freezer and 2º from 50º in the fresh foods.

Fan noise likely frost related 

if evap does frost up evenly I’d say warm air intrusion or defrost terminating too soon or evap drain was clogged. 

Nothing short of a sealed system repair is going to fix this problem, stop throwing parts at it hoping for a fix.

This is a whirlpool masquerading as a  Thermador.....The leak is probably in the defrost heater in the lower pan or in the heat exchanger going thru the rear wall.. If this is a good looking unit, not damaged, with a good interior  AND you have all the correct equipment, it is worth keeping...Replace the evaporator coil,  pan heater , heat exchanger, filter dryer, add a process tube adapter , ( I may have missed a part )..Triple sweep the system...  ...........  You will need to pull the unit from its hole to access the rear....

thanks.  called the local Therm auth repair as this is now out of my wheelhouse, as it were..  It's in excellent shape and we plan to keep.  Especially since Therma has a 12y warranty on the sealed system parts.  It's just at the end of that time period.

And because nothing comes close these days, especially where the width, 42", is concerned.