Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Refrigerator Recommendations?

bbowens

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm looking to buy a new or not-too-used refrigerator, and I'm wondering if there are "good" brands vs. bad these days? Anything in particular to look for for long-term quality?

Thx,

Brad

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbowens

• evaappliance

• J5*

• darren412

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go cheapest price that has the features you need, sorry there are no good ones.

Yes like evaappliance has said . I always tell customers to go with the least expensive model that you like and then purchase the longest warranty you can get on it.

To get a used refrigerator that is good you would have to find one that is close to 20 years old or older. If you got one that old in good shape you could get more years than a new one, they are getting almost impossible to find though 

15 minutes ago, evaappliance said:

To get a used refrigerator that is good you would have to find one that is close to 20 years old or older. If you got one that old in good shape you could get more years than a new one, they are getting almost impossible to find though 

The. problem with old units is power consumption 

Edited by J5*

got a line on a freebie, Amana TL20KL (mfg no. P7803225WL); pic says it's an energy saving model, if that's meaningful. Anyone familiar with this one, before I go investigate?

Just me I guess, but I choose dependability and longer life over a few bucks worth of power a month. If it works , go get it !

8 hours ago, evaappliance said:

Just me I guess, but I choose dependability and longer life over a few bucks worth of power a month. If it works , go get it !

I’m curious as to what brands you have over there that are still doing. 20+ years 

and what your power bills are 

power down here and we could be talking about the difference of power use 

new $150 a year

old up to $600 a year

it only takes a few years and new fridge is paying me back 

well, all that Amana could tell me is that it was a 1988 model, when Amana was still owned by Raytheon. I've always heard what good products Amana used to be. Should I go for it? it's a freebie, but I'll have to pay to have it picked up and moved. I need a fridge for a couple years while I save up for a new one with french doors.

I'm not finding any info online for this model, but here's the model tag--

Amana-IMG-5105.jpg

here the older maytag, amana, and whirlpool last very well . here there is no way to make over $100 dollars a year difference,  we have very low utility's compared to yours.  absolutely,

if there is a big power rate it would be worth sacrificing longevity, as in your area . 

2 hours ago, J5* said:

I’m curious as to what brands you have over there that are still doing. 20+ years 

and what your power bills are 

power down here and we could be talking about the difference of power use 

new $150 a year

old up to $600 a year

it only takes a few years and new fridge is paying me back 

2 hours ago, bbowens said:

I'm in the east bay of San Francisco. I think I'm paying around 10.3 cents per kwh

That’s was a long long time ago here 

gas and power is a big problem here with choice 

there is brick makers here looking to move to other countries due to the increase in natural gas prices

another company here recently that is spending $20m per year v their USA business paying only 1/3 

we also have some people on time of use costs 

so depending on time of day can be paying 60c/kWh 

9C58B0FA-B366-478A-ABA3-F7CD70B58160.png

Edited by J5*