Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Monogram ZET3038SH3 takes a long time to kick-in

rokosz

wall oven, electric.  Installed 10 years ago. Symptoms started probably 1 a year or two ago.

Set it to bake at some temp,  and now pretty much everytime,  it won't start pre-heating for a good 10 minutes. Sometimes you might be able to jump it a bit by hitting cancel/turn if off and start over.

Lately its been taking a lot longer to begin pre-heating -- tonight it was close to an hour with multiple attempts at jumping it.  That's a sudden increase from the usual 10-15 min.   Two of our kids ended up malnourished, or so you'd think from their whining.

So, any masters out there have an idea?  To me it seems like a thermostat is having a tough time receiving the signal to pay attention to the temp setting.  I've tried to listen for clicks when it actually does kick in. When I first say go I can hear a faint tick from the unit -- but that doesn't mean it'll start pre-heating.  I seem to recall, but can by no means claim its true, that a very audible click happens when the pre-heat kicks in (like the thermostat on the wall for home-heating.)

This happens whether baking or broiling.

thanks all.

btw, before I posted this topic I tried searching similar topics but apparently the only search is for parts?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokosz

• certified tech group 51

locate your wire diagram, somewhere in the top behind the control panel...look at your relay configuration, chances are your DLB ( double line break) relay is failing...About 450 Clam$ for a new board...........Could also be a bad connection at the junction box, behind unit or a loose set screw at the breaker at the main panel.....Seen both before...

Oh joy. Thank you CTG51 I was pretty much assuming it wasn't "Mechanical".  Both possibilities are new to me as far as effort.   Sounds like the Set screw would be  real nice - but pulling the unit out of the wall (presumably) to get to the board (or the boxes/jx) , and/or replacing the board without futzing things up and hoping that's the correct issue. uuuggghh.   Given that the issue is somewhat intermittent is it all that likely to be a bad connection?  Since the unit saw years of service before any trouble?   I suppose that depends on the definition of "bad".   Maybe i'll find a number of electrocuted mice...

One thing's for sure -- can't procrastinate on this one with T'giving on its way.  I'll post back...

• 3 months later...

so here's an update.  No hope for easy solution, but a little info.

I wasn't going to trust spending hundreds on boards  to replace without knowing which is the culprit.  I called a local (well not local -- a 800 number referral service I realize now).  Guy shows up takes the face plate off the top -- ahhh that's how I can get to the boards.  Charges me 80$ for the visit/diag. (no real diagnostic or testing)  Quotes me rough prices for the boards/parts (400+). Says he'll get back to me in a few days.  I hear nothing for a week.  Call them. I can't remember the exact excuse but I seem to recall hanging up on them (the excuse was that pathetic).  But I also understand -- if they buy the part, install it and it still doesn't work... hah hah on them

So I called GE Appliance. Much more professional.  Guy did futz about but said when he's seen this yeah its circuitry.  He convinced me to buy an ext.wty through GEApps. (gasp!  I never buy ext wtys).  But, with that in hand, allow 30 days for effectiveness of the extwty then call again.   Someone will come out, make the same assessment: yeah its not worth the effort to figure it out, try parts etc.  -- and they'll give a new unit.  I also got my monster 400lb MG fridge on it too -- I'd like to see them swap that puppy out.  I helped move it in and one of the other guys lost a couple of days work due to a strained back.

Bizarrely, for a couple of weeks at least - the ove kicked right in every time.  I started to think he reset something when I wasn't looking -- and blinded me on the extwty purchase.  But its back to its old tricks. 

Adversity breeds ingenuity:  one consistent method to avoid retry after retry:  start convectional -- its immediate, then cancel and start bake, no problem from there.