Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

CinBrandon

GE PDW9280 Profile Dishwasher fills with water then resets

CinBrandon

I have a GE PDW9280 Profile Dishwasher.
When I press "start" if seems to fill with water. I can hear and feel the water flowing.

Then all the lights will go out briefly, come back on and unit seams to be in "reset" mode. It pumps the water out, and stops.

Any suggestions on where/how to start in diagnosing?
Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

CinBrandon

Update: At times it runs full cycle fine. At other times it behaves as described above. and it may do this 5 times (after someone starts it each time), then all of a sudden, it will work normal for a cycle.

LearningTech

Could be detecting a leak could be detecting short in motor when it starts/tries to wash. Hard to say without some hands on diagnosis at a time when it is actuallly in failure

darren412
On 11/15/2018 at 11:00 AM, CinBrandon said:

Update: At times it runs full cycle fine. At other times it behaves as described above. and it may do this 5 times (after someone starts it each time), then all of a sudden, it will work normal for a cycle.

Run a diagnostic program to see what can be pulled up for any error codes that the control may have stored.   Start there.     There Should be a tech /schematic sheet behind the lower kick plate at the bottom of the front .   Look down by the frames lower left and right front corners. Sounds like a communication issue with the interface .  See if an error code comes up relating to a communication issue between the interface and main control

CinBrandon

Thanks darren412. I'll take a look at it next week.

coolhandluke

You may have a bad or blocked up turbidity sensor part number WD21X10118 it is listed as NLA at Sears.

CinBrandon
14 minutes ago, coolhandluke said:

You may have a bad or blocked up turbidity sensor part number WD21X10118 it is listed as NLA at Sears.

Would the diagnostics indicate this? I'm hoping to dig into this sometime this week.

CinBrandon

I put it in Technician mode. (holding down arrow and "heat" button for 3 seconds) According to the paper work and the service manual, this enables you to cycles thru the various functions. I did that, they all seem to activate.

It does not have diagnostic/fault indicator lights.

Today when it stopped after opening the water valve, it had water in the bottom. not higher then the flood sensor though. Then on one of my test, it ran a full cycle. go figure.

Tomorrow I will try the "Factory test more" and also check to make sure inlet cover, filter screen, etc are not clogged. Any insight on how to remove these, the flood sensor cover, and spray arm are appreciated.

thanks

CinBrandon

I put it in Technician mode. (holding down arrow and "heat" button for 3 seconds) According to the paper work and the service manual, this enables you to cycles thru the various functions. I did that, they all seem to activate.

It does not have diagnostic/fault indicator lights.

Today when it stopped after opening the water valve, it had water in the bottom. not higher then the flood sensor though. Then on one of my test, it ran a full cycle. go figure.

Tomorrow I will try the "Factory test mode" and also check to make sure inlet cover, filter screen, etc are not clogged. Any insight on how to remove these, the flood sensor cover, and spray arm are appreciated.

thanks

CinBrandon

I've taken the lower spray arm and all other arms, the fine filter, and coarse filter, everything looks fine. Also remove the cover to the float switch, everything seems fine there.

It fills with water, then lights on panel go out briefly, as if resetting. You then have to restart it. Do this 5-8 times, then a cycle will run.

Any suggestions are welcome.

LearningTech

well if no errors at this point  check for loose connections and  antying like that,  check membrane for stuck button, and then lilkly needs control