Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

'sweat joints' on water heater

Chris-man

Dear Samurai,  Today I plumbed the 1/2 "  copper pipe to my new water heater. The joints between elbows and such didnt 'flow and fill' as readily as I expected. If I pressurize it and there are leaks, have I created a real mess with water now in all the pipe?  What should I do?  How would you procede from here?  does solder need to be FED 'all the way around' on every joint ?                   Thank you for your advising.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris-man

• LearningTech

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely it was too cold. Solder  flows towards the source of heat.

If pipes are clean and heated proper, flux applied, then solder applied opposite side of heat, then it should flow into where it needs.

I would join a few pipes together outside of the house in a circle or something and pressurize it there to see if you do good joints 1st.

since you have done it already. You can redo it all after getting practice, or get a pro, or use another method of joining( shark bite) or pressureise it up with air, or some other non destructive medium, 

or just let water in and see what you get and hope for the best.

get a pro if all of the above did not make sense

Dear Learning Tech,   Hey, thanks for your advising--Yes, Ive properly cleaned and fluxed the joints but applying the solder to the 'opposite-from-heat' makes good sense and it does seem that at least some of thethe joints did not get hot enough. One more question: can I simply 'reheat' the joints I consider to be weak, and, can a joint become 'too hot' and thus not join properly?     thanks alot for your help 

It is possible to be too hot, but not super easy, just dont be cherry red.

as long as the copper is clean ( no soot/ contamination) they you can reheat and it will flow. 

When it is too hot you anneal the copper and weaken it. But even weak (annealed copper joint is well above pressures experienced in the home.