Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Hot Water Heater Element

cofee_iv

It's been *year* since I posted on here, so I hope it's "as usual" still. 

I think I need to change out an element in my hot water heater. The hot water is't lasting as long when we wash dishes or bathe.

Is there any way to figure out if I need to change out the lower or the upper before ordering parts? 

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cofee_iv

• certified tech group 51

• evaappliance

• LearningTech

most likely the lower one , if it were the top one there would be no heated water at all.   can also be a thermostat , so make sure bottom element is getting power to it

My rule of thumb is I ask the customer....Do you run out of hot water quickly  or do you get  real hot water and then warm water...........Running out of hot water , I check the lower element first....Real hot water , then warm, I look at the lower thermostat.....You can check the elements by continuity.......Test the lower thermostat (with  good element ).  Put a clamp-on meter around one  the element wire...Turn the lower thermostat to a higher setting, upper thermostat to a lower setting...... the lower element should be energized....  Reverse the test to test the upper element...meter on the upper element and  lower t stat to a  lower setting and the upper T stat to a higher setting....Most of the time these tests work, but some times the water temps will mess up the tests, ( still too hot  water ) ..........To replace the lower element, , Turn water supply off, release the system pressure of the tank.....Leave a HOT  valve open close by (  a sink )....Get your new element ready, loosen the old element and get it almost out..Quickly remove the old element and install the new one,, If done right . only about a cup or two of water will come out..... ...  ..