LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.74252400 not defrosting

steve_d

Hello,

My Kenmore Refrigerator is not defrosting. I have determined the adaptive defrost control needs to be replaced. Before I order the part, I want to know how to replace the board.

I know it's in the control box in the refrigerator but do not know the best way to replace it. Do I drop the whole control box and then replace the board while working outside of the refrigerator or remove the two screws and let the control box hang on the hinge while trying to replace the board (while the door is open and all of the cold air is escaping from the fridge)? If I should remove the whole control box from the fridge, are there any documented steps to remove the box and then reinstall it? or better yet any videos? I have found videos for other Kenmore/Whirlpool refrigerators but not this model.

Thanks much,

Steve

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steve_d

• darren412

• Motorcity Master

• crisis 101

Steve supply a model number, whenever replacing a electrical or mechanical part always remove power for your safety and the appliances, no one gets hurt or unit is damaged. Supply model and part number your are replacing.

Hello,

Thanks for responding. The model number is 106.74252400. The kenmore part number for the adaptive defrost control is 2213473. I believe the Whirlpool part number is WP2304099.

Thanks,

Steve

Hello Coolhandluke,

Thank you for the video. I was hoping for something for my style of control box due to the fact there is an air damper arm that is in the way and I am not sure if I need to remove it first or how to remove it. Also, where the control box hinges to the top of the fridge, there is a spring. Not sure if the control box  can just be pulled out or if there is something attached to the other end of that spring.

I would post a pic but I don't see the option to add an attachment like the faq video shows. I have tried IE and Chrome browsers.

Thanks,

Steve

I am curious how you determined it was the ADC  board that is your problem.  I'm assuming you verified the bi metal defrost control and heater were both ok.  besides that ,  Unplug all connections as necessary. Then just turn the damper control  knob until the damper arm  comes out of the knob retainer for the damper arm. .  and  then just remove the control box right out of the fridge and change the ADC board out on the counter top if that is easier for you.  It can be replaced either way.  Don't worry about the coiled cold control thermostat line that you see in the back end wrapped around a plastic tube like thing.  That is not a spring and will not interfere with you when pulling out the control box.  

It sucks they charge so much for that ADC board !    It can price you right out of the repair job for the fridge.  

Motorcity Master

The price on those is ridiculous. Supco has an aftermarket version that I've been using. No problems or callbacks so far.

Hmmmm ?    Im not a big fan of Supco but have used then when I really needed to.   Have you used the supco replacement idler pulleys yet for the samsung dryers ?  Their a little scetchy  though butThey are a lot less expensive than the samsung idler pulley.  I truly dont make it a habit of using the supco parts but samsung parts can get pricey.  

Motorcity Master

Yes on the Supco samsung idler pulleys. I've been using them for years with no call backs or short life. I've tried all of Supco stuff over the years. Their basic parts are good. Motors and electronics aren't so good. 

please forgive me -70 old woman trying to replace defrost timer and i thought i posted my question but cannot see where it went ....can someone tell me how this forum works.....i just joined.....i have watched 72 you tube videos and cannot find what to do about the green ground wire (no metal place to attach to on new plastic timer) TIA

Motorcity Master

If the new defrost timer has an all plastic body then you won't hook the green grounding wire up to anything. Tape it or cut it it so it doesn't make contact with anything.

Tks that is what i was going to do...tape it with electrical tape etc. ...plus i just found a techs solution of what to do wth  the extra black wire that you have to figure out what version this fridge is.....and that the prongs are numbered weird....alrighty here goes....

8 hours ago, Motorcity Master said:

Yes on the Supco samsung idler pulleys. I've been using them for years with no call backs or short life. I've tried all of Supco stuff over the years. Their basic parts are good. Motors and electronics aren't so good. 

thanks for thoughts  Motorcity,  That is good to know .  I was asked this question a month ago by the local parts distributor on these supco pulleys.  I wasnt sure if he was asking because someone had complained about their performance .   I just said nope , I haven't had any issues with the ones I had used and we left it at that.  Take care and talk to you on the big job.  Thanks again 

Hi Darren,

Back to the original post :)

To answer your question, I originally replaced the bi-metal defrost (without testing) because it was a cheap and easy repair. I should have tested it first as that was not the issue. I then found out how to manually start the defrost cycle and the heater got hot so from what I have read that leaves the ADC.

Because this is a 15 year old refrigerator, i was going to try the Supco ADC for about $60.

I will let you know how it goes after I receive it and install it.

Thanks!

Steve

well good luck.  FYI :    Remember what Motorcity Master had said earlier in this post about supco Motors and electronics.  He had mentioned that they were not so good.  Hopefully the supco part will last for you.   Take care and get back to the post and update us if you would on your progress ok.

On 11/27/2018 at 12:14 AM, Motorcity Master said:

My experience with supco hasn’t been good. I  tried the 29” dryer repair kit. Cheaply made I’d never put that crap on a customers dryer. 

Thanks for chiming in on that 16345Ed.   I'm glad you mentioned your experience with supco.  I  do not not like using Supco for my regular customers either but I am finding myself tending to lean more towards the availability of Supco part when The Samsung part was not available.   The more I hear from everyone's actual experience with Supco , the more I may just not complete the call the first time.   This is obviously not the forum for this , so I am going to throw a Supco Question out into the Dojo.   Talk soon ed

Motorcity Master
6 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

My experience with supco hasn’t been good. I  tried the 29” dryer repair kit. Cheaply made I’d never put that crap on a customers dryer. 

That's a good point.  Thier 29" dryer kit--it works but you notice the difference when it's running. The OEM rollers are a lot quieter. Plus the price difference is minimal. 

Hello,

I replaced the ADC this morning. Just waiting now to make sure the defrost issue is resolved.

Getting the connectors off of the old board was difficult. They did not want to come off but I finally got them off.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 17 days since I replaced the ADC and no defrost issues since then. I think this resolved my problem.

I will let you know if the Suppco ADC has any problems.

Thanks for the help.

4 hours ago, steve_d said:

It's been 17 days since I replaced the ADC and no defrost issues since then. I think this resolved my problem.

I will let you know if the Suppco ADC has any problems.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for following up. Good work!