Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

HELP Need Inlet Valve Crossover or Universal

Gags730

I am working on a Dishwasher .....  a Kenmore ( Whirlpool ) 

Model #66514563N610 

Sears was out there and told him he needed a new control board and gave the guy an estimate of over $400.
Anyway, thru a friend I get the call, I did not check what Sears actually did (mistake #1)  and installed the new control board that the customer ordered.  

After installing the part I notice that the DW is not filling correctly, I cleaned the Screen, and it helped a lot.  However the fill level is still not high enough and the pressure/ float switch is not being activated.
I checked the fill pressure and the line to the valve has amazing water pressure so I need a new valve.
The Part Number of the new valve is  Part: W10327250  and the cost is $56.00.
Is there a Universal Valve that I can put into this DW, it has the molex connector and has the "Garden Hose" fitting.
Click here to see the image  
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/w10327250/0022/665.html

Can anyone tell me another part # that will fit this that cost less and has decent flow rate for the fill....  
I gotta run this call tomorrow so kinda in a rush...
Thanks

I found this one Whirlpool 
W10648041 Inlet Valve   for $38 , it should work...but looking for   a cheap one that will work

that valve substitutes for another number. They substitute when there are issues with the replacement one that had been originally manufactured.  whirlpool suggests that you use part # W10872255 water inlet valve in place of the W10327250 that you want to use.       Go to Amazon.com and punch in the W10872255 part #.   Amazon Prime has it for $29.70  and can be shipped for you to get it by the 10th if you order it today.      Get this one and no other one !  not a universal type thing that you think may work !  put in the recommended water valve that whirlpool puts out there.   Your messing with water in someones home so you want them to get the proper valve that goes in there.  If you end up putting in anything other than the one suggested , then your no much better than the guy from sears that went there and possibly mis diagnosed the problem .

• Like 1

Thanks Darren...   I rarely fix dishwashers anymore, the cost of boards and the age, most of the people just buy new.  I am a little confused with your comment about  a universal part, by that I meant a Whirlpool part that fits many units.  The reason for the float switch is also to cut the power to the fill valve isn't it?    Some units have float switches, others use a flow switch and flow meters.  In years past I have always used just a few valves that fit many units, and the same goes for washer machine and refrig water fill valves.  If they fit and can mount the same I have never had an issue.   How many fill valves do you carry on the truck or have at the shop, or do you have to order a water valve on every call you go on?

Thanks Darren...   I rarely fix dishwashers anymore, the cost of boards and the age, most of the people just buy new.  I am a little confused with your comment about  a universal part, by that I meant a Whirlpool part that fits many units.  The reason for the float switch is also to cut the power to the fill valve isn't it?    Some units have float switches, others use a flow switch and flow meters.  In years past I have always used just a few valves that fit many units, and the same goes for washer machine and refrig water fill valves.  If they fit and can mount the same I have never had an issue.   How many fill valves do you carry on the truck or have at the shop, or do you have to order a water valve on every call you go on?

These newer dishwasher don't use the float to cutoff water flow in normal operations, (they never fill with enough water to activate float to stop water input if everything is working normally), it is only a safety device for like if the pump fails and the last fill didn't drain a second fill would overflow the tub without the safety float.

The water valves have flow washers in them so as to regulate the flow of water over at variable input pressure, (so if the timer has a two minute fill, x amount of water will flow thru the valve in 2 minutes rather the incoming pressure is 30 Lbs or 100 Lbs, (or whatever the high end might be?).

The water fill on the dishwasher you are working on should be just to the top large ridge of the large particle filter that holds the fine filter in place, (I think at that point the float might just be slightly away from turning off water input).

(Willie)  Question for you then, I worked technical support with Miele, on those units they had a flow meter, in cases of low water pressure you could adjust the fill time on certain models. 

Can that also be done with these new Kenmore W.P. models, it is 1.5 yrs old.     I have excellent water pressure, I disconnected the fill hose and cleaned the water valve screen, it helped very little as the screen was not trashed with debris, and there still is not enough water in the dishwasher so I will change the valve, but was wondering about that fill timing regardless just to learn and possible use for testing to check the rest of the function on the DW with a better water level, and what other stuff can be checked by the board or programmed?.   

The water in the DW does not even come close to even hitting the float switch housing, never mind activating it, the water is about 6" to 8" away so there is very little water in the tub and he also complained about soap not be washed out of cup and on the door still..... I have to order the valve tomorrow.... Also I thank you for this information, I switched to Commercial repair about 10 years ago gotta keep up with this, I  stated earlier I barely do D.W. at all now, like microwaves, seems they just throw em out, and I do not want to pretend I am an expert on Dishwashers that why I am here.    

Willie... Thanks  again.   I tell you the wash times on new dishwasher is disgusting....hours to wash a single load.  Thank the lord I still have a Whirlpool  looks new with the last of the  full sized motor pump assembly, it washes great and is done in under 1 hour with a heated dry. 

I suggest to customers that they run the tap water to the sink to hot to help the fill with the dishwasher to be hot... I see this helps to help cut down time if water has to be heated for the cycle. 

Is there cycles you suggest or advice that I can offer customers on what cycle to use that wash just fine and help cut down on this cycle time.  Initially when they changed all the DW detergents and removed the phosphates I had a lot of  educational calls with streaks and advised on the use of Jet Dry as a mandatory item now, and them trying different soaps that rectified literally every issue with that. 

Are these newer models will low amounts of water is that like an attempt to meet certain government regulations with Water and Energy usage?   The silent operation is excellent however the wash time is ridiculous.  Mainly I do commercial systems now and bulk of my side work is washers and dryers, DW is a rare thing for me now, just want to have all the correct information.  Ithas been a crazy month of Sears and A&E techs telling and doing strange things to customers and I end up on cleanup, overall the quality of their tech has been in extreme decline for the last decade, but it seems worse than ever, with tech shotgunning it and Bullshitting customers... I have never seen anything like it here.

Willie... Thanks  again.   I tell you the wash times on new dishwasher is disgusting....hours to wash a single load.  Thank the lord I still have a Whirlpool  looks new with the last of the  full sized motor pump assembly, it washes great and is done in under 1 hour with a heated dry. 

I suggest to customers that they run the tap water to the sink to hot to help the fill with the dishwasher to be hot... I see this helps to help cut down time if water has to be heated for the cycle. 

Is there cycles you suggest or advice that I can offer customers on what cycle to use that wash just fine and help cut down on this cycle time.  Initially when they changed all the DW detergents and removed the phosphates I had a lot of  educational calls with streaks and advised on the use of Jet Dry as a mandatory item now, and them trying different soaps that rectified literally every issue with that. 

Are these newer models will low amounts of water is that like an attempt to meet certain government regulations with Water and Energy usage?   The silent operation is excellent however the wash time is ridiculous.  Mainly I do commercial systems now and bulk of my side work is washers and dryers, DW is a rare thing for me now, just want to have all the correct information.  Ithas been a crazy month of Sears and A&E techs telling and doing strange things to customers and I end up on cleanup, overall the quality of their tech has been in extreme decline for the last decade, but it seems worse than ever, with tech shotgunning it and Bullshitting customers... I have never seen anything like it here.

they use dc voltage now for dishwashers which increase the running times.   also if they dont rinse the dishes good , that can cause long wash times also.  if the turbidity sensor senses that the water is dirty and cloudy still,  the dishwasher will add an extra rinse to the wash cycle, thus prolonging wash times. every dishwasher will usually go through a pre wash cycle at the very beginning of every selected wash cycle.  So turning on the hot water at the sink prior to the starting up of  the dishwasher. helps out a lot with the pre wash cycle.