LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag dishwasher MDB7759AWS2 blowing fuse

smcgrath67

I'll try this again, now compliant with the model number!  

Unsure how to delete my prior post about the same problem.

My Maytag dishwasher recently had a new control board installed by a local PCM.  It worked fine for a few weeks and then went dead.  I jumped the fuse in the control board and restored power to the appliance.  I replaced the fuse and it blew again on the first load of dishes, somewhere toward the end of the cycle, but I'm not exactly sure when.  The dishes were clean but the tub was full of water, if that helps.  I'm very much a beginner and unsure of what could be causing that fuse to blow?  I checked the heating element for resistance and it is within spec.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  Also, yes...I did use the new wire harness that came with the fuse.

Sean.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smcgrath67

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Team Samurai

Did either you or the PCM replace the wire harness that came with the TCO kit? The new wire harness and connector that comes with the kit is not optional. Everything in that kit has to be installed per the instruction sheet that comes with the kit. Loose wire connections are one of the causes for the TCO failing open. I’ve seen boards badly burnt beyond repair when this repair is done without using the new wire harness and splice block. 

5B1F6618-C823-41E5-9483-2EE0C6F363BC.jpeg

Thank you Samurai. the first time I did not, then the second time, after looking here and realizing my mistake, I did use the entire kit per instructions. I watched your video about the wires melting in the sound insulation...I'll check that. Like I said, the dishwasher will run almost to the end and then pop that fuse.

• Team Samurai
19 hours ago, smcgrath67 said:

somewhere toward the end of the cycle,

This may correspond to the heated dry cycle. An easy way to rule out the heater circuit would be to disconnect one of the wires underneath the dishwasher to the heating element. Secure the loose wire so it doesn't touch anything and run another cycle to see if the TCO fails again. The downside is that this test will require installing a new TCO kit but you'll need to do that anyway to do any other troubleshooting, such as running the self test cycle. But if the TCO does not open again during this test, then you've isolated the problem to the heating circuit. 

Thank you, I'll give that a shot.  I did check the element for continuity and it was within spec.  Is it highly unadvisable to jump the fuse in order to run the self test cycle?

• Team Samurai
1 minute ago, smcgrath67 said:

Is it highly unadvisable to jump the fuse in order to run the self test cycle?

I wouldn’t do this because until we figure what the exact problem is, you could damage the board. 

The element not having continuity wouldn’t cause the TCO to open but if the element has a path to ground, it would. Measure resistance from the heating element terminals to chassis with at least one wire disconnected from the element. Should read open. If you get any ohm reading, that’s a problem to troubleshoot. 

Thank you, sir.  As much as I'm looking forward to getting started with MST (right after the holiday craziness is done), being a noob is confounding!

• Team Samurai
3 hours ago, smcgrath67 said:

being a noob is confounding!

This is a confounding problem even for experienced techs! But the heating element is the load with the highest amp draw so it makes sense to focus on that as the suspect troublemaker until it’s either confirmed or ruled out. The isolation test described above will do that.  

Also inspect the other wire connections on the board and door switch for any signs of overheating, charring, discolored insulation, etc.