Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Guest bekee64

Maytag washer LAT9800

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a Maytag washer model #LAT9800 which we bought in 1994.  The washer will fill with water but will not agitate or spin out the water in any cylce.  The timer seems to be working because you  can hear a "ticking" noise when the washer is turned on.  The only other problem that I noticed is that the control knob was in the "off" position and I could still hear the "ticking" noise.

Please advise, the Maytag store has recommended that we purchase a new washer, as they assume the problem is an expensive transmission. I do not feel that a new purchase should be necessary after this time frame. 

Thanking you in advance for any assistance

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Well, anyone who advises you to buy a new one onthe basis of that information is, with all due respect, full of :fart:

Questions - any other noises apart from the ticking? Does the machine spin/agitate if you manually turn the timer to the right spot?

No, the machine does not spin or agitate if the timer/control knob is moved. I haven't noticed any other noises. The ticking only stops when the control knob is pushed in (turned off) or the machine is unplugged.   My husband has checked the drum, and he can turn it manually when the washer is unassembled.

So you don't hear the motor even trying to run? No hummmmmmming? Well, that's the problem.

Thought...the lid switch will kill everything apart from the fill on these, won't it? Doesn't explain the tick, though.......

If it's the old Dependable Care washers, I think it even kills fill.  It's a good part to zero in on for further investigation.

Sorry for the delay in a response....I will have my husband check to door switch (we've had trouble with it before) and he wants to check the timer. 

Thanks, will update when he has accomplished the tasks.

Sorry for the delay, first day off to try to fix the washer.  My husband found the problem, of all things, the "agitator interupter" wire was corroded by the motor connection.  After taking the washer completely apart twice, he found the loose wire, cleaned and reconnected it to the motor.  All is fine now. 

Thanks for the help  :D

Great catch!  Thanks for the followup; I love a happy ending.  :dude: