Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Advantium Model PSB2201nss01

RJOB

Oven went dead during microwave use. Checked breaker was not tripped, reset still no panel display. Seeking suggestions on what to check. Will remove from cabinet if necessary.

Regards,

RJOB

I don’t recommend people working on microwaves due to the high voltage when unit is unplugged. The high voltage capacitor would need to be discharged. You could keep it unplugged for a week then the unit would be totally discharged. Your dealing with the low voltage side but be cautious. Sounds like the fuse is blown which is on the power board next to the cooling fan. Unit needs to be pulled out, unplugged and the metal panel needs to be removed as well. Ohm out the fuse with a multimeter. If it reads open, replace it. If it’s not then there’s a power issue that can be a number of things. Start at the fuse first. 

6A7DADBD-DED6-41E6-AE7A-DD8EBEBE244B.png

The fuse is number 1626. If the fuse is good you would have to check power at the power board. Unit would need to be plugged in. If you don’t feel comfortable checking voltage with your meter, I’d call a professional technician. Microwaves are cheap to replace. If the board ends up being bad, it could be costly. Changing a fuse or a door switch is cheap. There should be a tech sheet behind the display board or somewhere inside the microwave after removing the top cover. The tech sheet would be very helpful which I don’t have unfortunately. 

Fuse or TCO (Then you have to ask yourself WHY did it open?), if you can read a schematic and multi-meter... not recommended for the novice...

17 hours ago, Ian B said:

The fuse is number 1626. If the fuse is good you would have to check power at the power board. Unit would need to be plugged in. If you don’t feel comfortable checking voltage with your meter, I’d call a professional technician. Microwaves are cheap to replace. If the board ends up being bad, it could be costly. Changing a fuse or a door switch is cheap. There should be a tech sheet behind the display board or somewhere inside the microwave after removing the top cover. The tech sheet would be very helpful which I don’t have unfortunately. 

Ian B

Thanks for the reply. I am comfortable checking the voltage as well as discharging the capacitor. Recognize the electrical hazards and the necessary precautions. Regarding your comment that microwaves are cheap to replace - this is the Advantium  which retails over 2k today. So repair seems like an option. 

4 hours ago, Chat_in_FL said:

Fuse or TCO (Then you have to ask yourself WHY did it open?), if you can read a schematic and multi-meter... not recommended for the novice...

Chat

Thanks for the reply.

The why might have been the result of a power surge about 10 days ago. A tree went down on the lines and it took at least 45 seconds for the Power company's circuit to open. Advantuim was not operating at the time but the power kept surging on and off before I could access the house main breaker. My thought are the fuse might have been stressed. Can read a schematic an multi-meter. Just need to ask a few questions once in awhile.

2 hours ago, RJOB said:

Advantuim was not operating at the time

On 1/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, RJOB said:

Oven went dead during microwave use

Confused. Advantuims will go dead during a power surge, and sometimes just opening the breaker for about 5 minutes, then reapplying the power , will bring it back to life, not even sure why, but it was always the first thing I would try when an Advantium 240 went dead during a storm with joy most of the time...

18 hours ago, Chat_in_FL said:

Confused. Advantuims will go dead during a power surge, and sometimes just opening the breaker for about 5 minutes, then reapplying the power , will bring it back to life, not even sure why, but it was always the first thing I would try when an Advantium 240 went dead during a storm with joy most of the time...

Chat sorry for the confusion. To clarify the Advantium stopped functioning during microwave use. The power surge accrued prior to the actual failure while the Advantium was not operating. Thinking was the surge might have impacted the fuse then during actual use the fuse failed.  

4 hours ago, RJOB said:

Thinking was the surge might have impacted the fuse then during actual use the fuse failed.  

More likely a control board than a fuse (power surge), but start with with the simple stuff first: fuse , TCO, etc. (the board  usually blows in time to save the cheaper fuse)...

Removed oven from wall cabinet found 20 amp ceramic fuse failed. Fuse had arc mark on one end. Local GE appliance Service had a generic 20 amp fast blow fuse, I think the GE fuse is slow blow, asked parts man if he knew but got the deer in the head lights look. Did find the new fuse was loose in the fuse holder tightened holder by squeezing ends together.  Installed the new fuse for testing, powered unit up all functions work. Ran GE microwave test of one liter of water for two minutes three seconds to check temperature rise. Rise was 48 degrees minimum rise acceptable per GE was 32.  Will see if this lasts. 

9 hours ago, RJOB said:

Removed oven from wall cabinet found 20 amp ceramic fuse failed. Fuse had arc mark on one end. Local GE appliance Service had a generic 20 amp fast blow fuse, I think the GE fuse is slow blow, asked parts man if he knew but got the deer in the head lights look. Did find the new fuse was loose in the fuse holder tightened holder by squeezing ends together.  Installed the new fuse for testing, powered unit up all functions work. Ran GE microwave test of one liter of water for two minutes three seconds to check temperature rise. Rise was 48 degrees minimum rise acceptable per GE was 32.  Will see if this lasts. 

A loose connection can cause it. You should replace fuse with EXACT same type that was in there. 

Edited by 16345Ed

squeezing the fuse holder ends together to get a better hold on the fuse will work in the short term but it would be best to replace the holder with a new one that hasn't been heat stressed and tension lost for long term reliability.

• Like 1